The Director of Programs’ mission is to drive sector impact and venture growth through oversight of Propeller’s portfolio of programs – sector-based accelerators, Growth Accelerator, alumni programming, PitchNOLA competition series, pro bono network, etc. – to ensure that all programs run smoothly, have a high-value add and client satisfaction, and leads to significant sector impact and venture growth in impact and revenue.
Impact Accelerator (Startup and Growth):
- Oversees sector teams for recruitment of high quality applicants for accelerators and pitch competitions.
- Oversees development and management of all accelerator programming, including curriculum, venture work plans, Lead Mentor quality, weekly cohort meet-ups, technical assistance, access to networks and financing, venture showcases, and community-building events.
- Oversees team to build strong alumni relationships and manage high value-add events and coaching engagements with 100% alumni satisfaction.
- Oversees team to track venture financial and social impact outcomes through Salesforce.com
- Ensures 95% high value-add and high satisfaction in all accelerator programming.
- 66% – 80% of Startup Accelerator ventures implement pilot or acquire paying customers and reach social impact goals.
- 50% – 90% of Growth Accelerator ventures have either received financing or earned significant revenue.
- (potential) Builds pipeline for potential Propeller Loan Fund for current ventures and alumni.
Sector knowledge and strategy
- Drives strategy and growth within each of Propeller’s four sectors of water, educational equity, food access, and public health.
- Speaks compellingly and with 100% accuracy on all venture successes, sector strategies and entrepreneurial opportunities, sector statistics, and sector policy environment.
- Oversees team to ensure smooth and efficient execution of four sector pitch events, including the Water Challenge Day, PitchNOLA: Living Well, PitchNOLA: Education, and PitchNOLA: Living Well with strong recruitment and 100% stakeholder satisfaction, including applicants, semi-finalists, judges, attendees, mentors, attendees, and funders.
Team and Consultant Management
- Oversees team to recruit and manage pro bono professionals, paid subject matter experts, sector experts, Lead Mentors, and Executive Mentors to work with ventures.
- Oversees team for timely and “right fit” consultant and mentor matching and work plan development.
- Ensures 100% “A Players” on the programmatic team – Water Program Manager, Education Program Manager, Health Program Manager, Food Program Manager, Data/Ops Coordinator, and AmeriCorps members who are passionate about the mission and day-to-day work and achieves all scorecard results.
- Empowers and coaches the programmatic team to achieve results and models Propeller’s three values of passion, vulnerability, and obsession with results.
- Oversees team participation in consistent and positive stewardship of sector funders through regular and timely communications on impact, execution of program deliverables, and regular expressions of appreciation.
- MBA or 3+ years of management consulting or startup experience.
- Business acumen – able to quickly understand and synthesize driving forces of business sectors, startups, and established businesses.
- General Management – Understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
- Analytical skills – Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills.
- Management experience – successful experience empowering team members to achieve results
- Efficiency – Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
Organization and planning – Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets time in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Assertiveness/Makes Decisions – Moves quickly and takes a forceful stand without being abrasive.
- Follow-through on commitments – Lives up to verbal and written agreements, regardless of personal cost.
- Intelligence – Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information from new business models, critical relationships, and new sectors.
- Attention to detail – Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Persistence – Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Proactivity – Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Work ethic – Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the job done. Has a track record of working hard.
- Ego in Check/Openness to criticism and ideas – Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback. Admits to mistakes.
- (preferred) We strive to be highly effective in serving all aspects of the New Orleans community. To do so requires expertise and deep knowledge. Preference will be given to candidates with 4+ years of personal/professional experience working with low-income or underrepresented minority (African-American, Latino American, Native American or Vietnamese American) communities.
- (preferred) Expert knowledge in one or more of Propeller’s four sectors.
Salary: This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. Competitive, commensurate with experience; benefits (health, dental, vision) package
Start Date: (flexible) June/July 2016; full-time
July 31, 2016; we strongly recommend early applications and may fill the position before the deadline.
Please answer the following questions in a separate document:
- Why are you passionate about social entrepreneurship, business consulting, and working with underserved communities?
- What is your understanding of why poverty exists in New Orleans?
- What do you think will be your greatest strength in this role? In what way do you think you will need to grow the most to be successful in this role?
- What do you find gives you the most energy in your current work? What drains your energy the most in your current work?
- What are your salary requirements?
Email your answer document, resumé, and cover letter to Andrea Chen and Julia Stewart at [email protected] In your cover letter, please explain how you heard about Propeller and your interest and qualifications in the position. Please write the job title and your name in the subject line of the email.
Propeller is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minority individuals are encouraged to submit applications.