Western Resource Advocates’ mission is to protect the West’s land, air, and water. We use law, science and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region. Current priority efforts in six western states focus on advancing clean energy, protecting rivers, improving air quality, and stopping oil shale and tar sands.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Energy Policy Advisor to develop and advocate for policies and mechanisms that reduce the environmental impact of electricity production in the Interior West and accelerate the region’s transition to renewable energy, energy efficiency, and other cleaner energy technologies, primarily supporting WRA’s Clean Energy Program work in Nevada.
The Senior Energy Policy Advisor reports directly to the Chief of Policy Analysis for the Clean Energy Program, and will work closely with our Senior Staff Attorney in Nevada. The position is based in WRA’s Carson City, Nevada, office.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and advocate for policies and mechanisms that reduce the environmental impact of electricity production in the Interior West and accelerate the region’s transition to renewable energy, energy efficiency, and other cleaner energy technologies, primarily supporting WRA’s Clean Energy Program work in Nevada.
- Represent WRA in regulatory, legislative, and other policy forums, including through written testimony and oral testimony.
- Work directly with the region’s electric utilities, the business community, consumer advocates, the environmental community, and other stakeholders to advance clean energy.
- Collaborate with WRA Program and Communications staff to produce and disseminate materials that effectively communicate our mission, goals and the results of our work to external audiences.
Job Requirements & Qualifications:
- Significant experience working on electricity issues and a personal commitment to a cleaner environment and a more sustainable energy future.
- A graduate or professional degree (or equivalent experience) in economics, business, public policy, utility resource planning, utility ratemaking, or related disciplines is essential.
- Strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Experience testifying as an expert witness before state public utility commissions is desirable.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently on multiple projects with deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary based on relative experience. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, and paid vacation and sick leave. Position is a full-time exempt position.
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.