Responsibilities and tasks
- Assist ICIMOD with all Knowledge Management and Communication activities in and related to China, including the adaptation of style or format to ensure that messages achieve maximum impact
- Spearhead scoping missions on the communication landscape in China to recommend the best modes to achieve impact for ICIMOD
- Work with the KMC team and ICIMOD’s China Country Focal Person to generate news, blogs, and feature materials for publication in key specialist and general-interest media, science platforms, and networks in China
- Solicit/contribute news and events specific to ICIMOD from Chinese partner institutions for the website and Chinese social media
- Lead and/or coordinate the translation work and summary of key Chinese knowledge products into English and vice versa
- Lead KMC-related events organized in China in close collaboration with other partners
- Work closely with the KMC team in developing an information page on ICIMOD’s website in Chinese
- Work closely with KMC Focal Points and programme staff to identify opportunities to create and support the development of engaging Chinese content aligned with the objectives of ICIMOD and its initiatives
- Research and harvest reliable and relevant resources – information, data, and knowledge from open-access repositories in China
- Help strengthen the media database at ICIMOD and news dissemination with a particular emphasis on Chinese media agencies
- Interact with and work in close relationship with CN-ICIMOD and liaise with other Chinese partners both in China and at ICIMOD.
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Information Management/Science, Development Communication, Knowledge Management, or related field with extensive experience in information, behavioural, and/or communications sciences
- Minimum two years of work experience in related field of communications as a communications specialist or journalist, as well as experience with a recognized national or international organization
- Sound knowledge of communication strategies, knowledge management tools, and information technology.
- High level of skills in Chinese and English language
- Teamwork and cooperation: Works effectively and smoothly across multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams and take actions to build a cohesive work climate in which all members are included; solicits ideas and opinions to help form specific decisions and plans.
- Result orientation: Proactively approaches the smooth organization of internal processes; works independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline, and self-motivation
- Cross cultural impact: Able to adapt personal style, manners and communication to accommodate various cultures and to find appropriate ways to demonstrate ICIMOD values; finds solutions in case of misunderstanding
- Analytical thinking: Able to analyze data and to make a decision when needed on less than complete data; able to brings different viewpoints into the decision-making process and to set priorities among competing interests
- Impactful communication: Presents and discusses ideas effectively within the team – conveys thoughts and ideas in a clear concise way; demonstrates active listening skills and argues his or her standpoint in a clear and logical manner
- Behavioral flexibility and managing change: Helps others learn how and when to adapt their behavior most effectively and adjusts approaches based on new information or events
- Developing others: Actively supports a continuous learning culture and contributes to increased understanding in the institute of his/her own expertise and to raising awareness about compliance, protocols and processes; explains the application and interpretation of compliance, procedures and processes
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Easily implements new technologies and approaches when necessary and recognizes present opportunities; continually improves work processes and questions status quo practices/traditions and assumptions
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 05 Feb 2018 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified