Reporting to the Head of Programme, the WASH Specialist will be based in Garowe (Puntland) and is responsible for the development of the WASH Core Competency (CC) covering WASH Programmes in the whole of Somalia.
- Specific Responsibilities:
- Develop Core Comptenecy strategy, technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro LFAs
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies
- Contribute to identifying funding opportunities, and develop and revise funding proposal, budget and donor reports
- Responsible for following up on compliance with contractual commitments within Core Competence, and ensure high technical quality and synergies
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Identify trends in conditions/standards and donor priorities and assess better ways to assist
- Ensure key learnings are extracted from Core Competence implementation, and incorporate them in Core Competence development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities. Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Lead on development of the WASH strategy, proposals and plans. Ensuring all have taken into account gender, protection and accountability principles and are in line with international standards (Sphere, CoC, HAP etc)
- Play a proactive role in integrating WASH Core Competence strategy with other Core Competence strategies (namely Food Security, Shelter, Education and ICLA) to ensure maximum impact
- Ensure that the strategy is informed by sound analysis, with consultations with teams and concerned stakeholders and that programmes strategies are devised in promotion of NRC’s values, culture and beliefs.
- Explore and develop strategic partners contributing to quality and scaling up of programmes
- With the coordination platform in Somalia, contribute to enhanced knowledge/practice to WASH programming across humanitarian community as well as local government and relevant authorities, bringing in strategic players/learning etc.
- Guide the teams in developing systematic tools for day-to-day implementation, ensuring compliance with established guidelines and standards. This means developing/sharing emergency and early recovery WASH guidelines, process related documents, clarifying minimum standards and modalities
- Lead in developing a public health promotion and community mobilization strategy and together with the Food Security team, develop specific nutrition messaging which can be incorporated into public health promotion
- Guide and support field staff in effective on-going monitoring on project outcomes/impacts, and render technical advice for fine-tuning plans/modalities where required
- Lead on developing WASH monitoring tools to be used by the team to ensure that relevant information is being collected to inform strategy and implementation, and to ensure accountability and learning
- Ensure learning from WASH programme is captured, consolidated and disseminated, contributing to knowledge building and sharing within Somalia to influence policies and program me planning
- The candidate should have a strong technical background in Civil Engineering, Hydrology or Water Engineering.
- Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Core competency expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Academy college / University
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
- Duty station: Garowe (Puntland) – 70% Travel expected covering WASH Programmes in the whole of Somalia.
- Contract duration: 12 months is with possibility of extension. Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Somalia.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected