General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
In 2018, GOAL will embark on an ambitious 25-month programme to meet the WASH needs of over 550,000 people in GOAL’s Area of Operation (AoO). The programme will have three main components; Utility Operations, Improved Governance and Accountability and Emergency Response.
‘Utility Operations’ speaks to the support and inputs the organisation will provide to appropriate Water Provision Authorities to support the functionality of Water Units and Water Stations. This will include the establishment of an e-voucher system for fuel provision, an incentive programme to increase to promote cost recovery and the provision of increased water availability at household level and the establishment of an Infrastructure Stabilisation Fund for community driven identification and prioritisation of rehabilitation works at station and network level. In terms of improved Governance and Accountability, GOAL with work with Water Authorities to expand their remit beyond technical oversight through a meaningful capacity building programme that looks to improving financial management and the implementation of cost recovery systems. Finally, GOAL will integrate WASH interventions into its emergency response programme through targeted hygiene promotion and hygiene kit provision. The interventions proposed will be implemented by a multi-disciplinary team comprised of engineers, behaviour change agents and M&E staff.
General Description of the Role:
The WASH Data Officer will be based in GOAL’s office in Antakya supporting the WASH Antakya Team in managing all the program data. This position will support the WASH team in data collection and analysis, designing and managing a WASH database and the provision of analysed data for donor reporting and management. This position will also support the Antakya WASH team in administrative tasks, including timesheets for Water and Hygiene Units, checking voucher payments and other administrative tasks.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- When needed, design new tools using different applications for WASH assessments and surveys.
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date information is maintained for WASH activities and that data generated through field activities is updated on a daily basis on centralized records and stored securely
- Under the supervision of the WASH manager in Turkey, work with WASH team in Syria, to ensure accurate beneficiary data is entered, stored and updated as required. This will include ensuring accurate disaggregation of beneficiary data, in line with GOAL and donor requirements
- Ensure regular and consistent updating of WASH beneficiary and assistance delivery via appropriate reporting software/platform
- Generate summary statistics, and rapid and initial analysis and findings from WASH program databases, M&E datasets and/or other sources of data to support data requests from WASH program and Grants teams
- Verify beneficiary reporting figures for quarterly and final donor reports, ensuring that reported figures best match with sources of information for WASH program.
- Support the Antakya WASH team in administrative tasks, such as following timesheets for Water and Hygiene Units, following fuel rounds for Water and Hygiene Units, entering information in GOALs monitoring databases.
- Support the WASH team by coordinating with procurement, Logistic and HR teams
- Other related tasks at the request by your line manager.
- Turkish Citizenship
- Experience with IT, particularly database design and management
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications including programming, Microsoft Excel and Access
- Familiarity with digital data gathering platforms and software
- Basic understanding of M&E principles, methodologies, data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Basic understanding of grant reporting for humanitarian donors
- Experience of staff management and capacity development
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work long hours under significant pressure
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles
- Good English skills, spoken and written
- Degree in Civil engineering or related engineering field
- Experience of WASH programme implementation
- NGO experience in a humanitarian setting, especially WASH experience.
- Good understanding of water (especially water networks), sanitation and/ or solid waste management in the Syrian context
- Experience of working remotely
- Fluency in Arabic
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
If you would like to apply for the above position, please fill out the following application form. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 7 February 2018.