Job title: GSIPM Adjunct Faculty – International Environmental Policy
Location: Monterey, CA Campus
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey Graduate School of International Policy & Management
Part-time, Temporary Assignments
The Graduate School of International Policy & Management offers a unique concentration of graduate degree and non-degree programs that prepare students to address the most challenging global issues of our time. It is a recognized leader in higher education with a clear mission for training professionals and leaders in business, policy, and civil society. The School seeks applications for adjunct faculty positions to help deliver a wide variety of courses, from semester-long courses to weekend workshops, within it’s MA in International Environmental Policy program. Priority hiring areas are:
o Business, development and sustainability
o Energy policy and finance
o Marine science and policy
o Conservation and natural resource management
o Agricultural and water policy
o Climate change adaptation
Under the general supervision of Program Chair, the adjunct faculty member will provide instruction in accordance with course descriptions, outlines, class schedules, and academic policies at the MIddlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, evaluate student course performance, provide course-related consultation, and perform other instructional duties as assigned. The primary instructional activities must take place on the Institute campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and improve course content and pedagogy, striving for excellence in teaching.
• Be present throughout each scheduled class, and contact staff in advance to make appropriate arrangements for unavoidable absences.
• Provide course syllabus and textbook information by the due dates.
• Accurately monitor student performance, and submit all necessary grades to Registrar by grade submission due date.
• Comply with all institutional policies and procedures.
• Maintain good communication with Program Chair and staff
Applicants must be academically or professionally qualified to delivery instruction in the appropriate subject area. In either case, a Master’s or doctoral degree is required. In evaluating the record and potential of candidates for appointment, primary consideration is given to the following:
• Substantial academic or practical experience and expertise in the subject area, as evidenced by the candidate’s academic achievement, employment history, management positions, and other professional accomplishments. High professional reputation among peers is a plus. Scholarly accomplishments are desirable, but not required.
• Teaching ability, as evidenced by appropriate references, student evaluations, and recommendation of peers.
• Personal attributes such as integrity, initiative, breath and focus of intellectual interest, and willingness to work with students.
• Desirable characteristics include experience with interdisciplinary teaching, research or consulting.
• MIIS promotes an international and multicultural environment. The ability to work in that environment is required, while international experience and second language capabilities are desirable.
• Willingness to share professional networks with interested students
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for the part-time, temporary adjunct faculty positions. Applications are kept active. When a need in an area, the relevant applications will be screened and suitable candidates will be notified and invited to interview.
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, is committed to excellence through diversity.
What is the FTE for the position? .5
Typical hours per two week pay period: 10-12
Hire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screening: Criminal Background Check
Posting Number: SH00098
Position Category: Seasonal/Temporary
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants: CV and cover letter required. Optional documents include teaching evaluations and recommendations on teaching and other academic experience and expertise.
Quickling for Posting: http://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/853
Supplemental Questions for Posting: Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Additional Document 1
- Additional Document 2