The Regional Office for RNE is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RNE develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region. The post is located in Cairo, Egypt.
The Senior Water Resources Officer reports to the Regional Strategic Programme Coordinator under the technical guidance of the relevant Division in HQ.
Water Resources and Irrigation.
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Regional Programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with Regional objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates in Regional committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
• Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
• Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
• Provides technical and policy advice to Member countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
• Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
• Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
• Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Serves as focal point and leads regional efforts in the collection and regular updating of key information and data on water use and irrigation in agriculture and advises the Agriculture and Land and Water Use Commission for the Near East (ALAWUC/NE) especially in the fields of policy, applied research, technical seminars and training and promotion of integrated land and water development programmes, and serves as its Secretary;
• Provides regional perspective and priorities in support to FAO’s periodic planning and programming exercises and the reviews of FAO’s strategic framework, and contributes to the implementation of the Programme in the field of water resources and irrigation.
• Supports FAO’s Inter-Departmental Working Groups (IDWG) and Regional and Sub-Regional Multi-Disciplinary Teams (MDT) in the development of an integrated and coherent approach to sustainable agriculture development, food security and the elimination of rural poverty in the region;
• Leads water resources and irrigation related activities in the Region, including by fostering collaboration between member governments and regional governmental and non-governmental organizations, ensuring the necessary consistency of approaches, through consultations with the Land and Water Division and relevant Functional Technical Networks;
• Contributes to agriculture sector reviews from the perspective of water resources management and advises on national/regional needs and projects or the development, management and conservation of water resources;
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Advanced university degree in Agriculture, Engineering or Natural Sciences with specification in irrigation and water resources development;
• Ten years of relevant experience in irrigation and water resources development and management in government departments, international organizations, or in private enterprises, and working experience in developing countries;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of experience in coordinating irrigation and water resources development programmes
• Demonstrated ability to analyse technical and scientific information; to write clearly and concisely, edit technical reports and make effective oral presentations;
• Extent and relevance of experience in organizing and leading meetings and training activities at national and regional level;
• Extent of knowledge of/working experience in the Near East region and Knowledge of UN/FAO activities, structure and procedures is desirable
• Working knowledge of Arabic, English and French will be considered an asset.
• All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills
• Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list
• Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered. Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile. Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]