Water for Africa through Leadership and Institutional Support (WALIS) W
Statement of Work
Period of Performance:
Upon approval through 9/24/2020
Maximum Level of Effort:
WALIS is five-year task order under the WADI IDIQ. It aims to improve the capacity of national water sectors to implement national policies, strategies, and plans that will deliver sustainable WASH services consistent with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Contract will accomplish this by supporting national and regional institutions and their development partners (including USAID) in:
- Developing, monitoring, and analyzing sound sector data;
- Engaging in targeted research and pilot activities around identified sector constraints;
- Strengthening country systems to develop informed policy and engage in sector planning toward sustainable WASH services; and
- Increasing the capacity required to support improved collection and use of sector knowledge.
The Operations Manager will lead fiscal and administrative management of the WALIS project. Reporting to the Chief of Party, the Operations Manager will be responsible for overseeing the administration of the WALIS contract, ensuring USAID contract compliance, consistency with DAI policies and procedures, and supervision of other administrative staff. He/she will work closely with the home office Project Manager, the project accountant, the contract administrator, the procurement specialist, and other home office staff in carrying out the work.
- Exercise management responsibility for project operations with a primary focus on finance, human resources, and administration;
- Ensure proper record keeping and documentation in accordance with DAI policies and USAID rules and regulations;
- Ensure spending is within budgetary limits;
- Formulate and oversee implementation of project financial and administrative policies and procedures, including manuals and forms; and
- Manage recruitment, negotiations, hiring, evaluation and termination of employees/consultants in consultation with the Chief of Party;
- Support development of annual work plans, quarterly reviews, and updates in collaboration with USAID;
- Provide timely and accurate financial reporting to USAID;
- Liaise with assigned Delivery Associate and Project Manager to ensure WALIS receives headquarters support as necessary (Finance, Contracts, and Human Resources);
- Support the monitoring of contract compliance (reports, deliverables, contract modifications, extensions, add-ons);
- Develop project activity budgets, sub-award budgets, and project pipelines;
- Recruit, mobilize, and demobilize short-term consultants and long-term project staff;
- Supervise administrative staff tasks such as making travel arrangements, processing travel vouchers, auditing subcontractor invoices, and perform other administrative tasks
- Assist in project start-up and close-down activities as assigned
- Troubleshoot problems and propose creative solutions to project management problems
- Coordinate logistics for meetings and conferences, as necessary
- Manage the administrative tasks associated with grants
- Assist with technical activities as needed to ensure activities proceed on time and without surprises.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, finance, human resources management, public administration, or another related field is required; a Master’s degree is preferred
- At least five years of experience in finance and accounting, human resources management, office administration, project operations required.
- Fluency in USAID project management required with prior experience leading and managing the financial aspects of USAID projects, including a demonstrated understanding of applicable finance-related U.S. Government contracting regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls, audit processes and accounting processes.
- Strong communications, personnel management, and training skills.
- Experience with USAID procurement processes and grants management is strongly preferred.
- Experience supervising staff is a plus
- Relevant regional experience in sub-Saharan Africa is a plus.
The Operations Manager will report to the Chief of Party.