- Job number: SRH02896
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Contract Type: Short term contract
- Country: Nigeria
ABOUT THE MISSION
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 12 months
About the mission:
SI started a program in Borno State (LGA Jere and Monguno) in 2016, and is now a major WaSH actor in the area.
With 5 projects ongoing, not only in WaSH, but also shelter and logistics, Solidarites International is addressing the immediate needs of populations affected by the current political and military crisis.
A complete response is provided to displaced and host communities in Maiduguri suburbs, IDP camps and host communities in four LGAs in Borno State.
The state of Borno gathers alone the largest part of internally displaced persons (1,7 million). About 1,4 million displaced people are in need of aid assistance in Borno. Access is a significant challenge and some programs are monitored remotely. Besides, a high number of aid actors are now operating in the area and coordination is still weak.
- IDPs in host communities
Situation in host communities is not homogenous and despite the efforts of the humanitarian community, there is no comprehensive assessment that could catch the picture of the situation of the host communities in Borno State. Many areas are not covered by humanitarian assistance and some are still not assessed. In the different LGAs, information on host communities are insufficient and needs are not well enough identified.
- Camp like settings
Majority of IDPs live in camp-like settings, protected by the army and with restriction of movements, even if some movements outside the settlement are authorized in the majority of the camps to allow IDPs to carry out livelihood activities (firewood collection, labour, etc.).
Humanitarian situation is critical with basic needs not covered for IDPs. WASH facilities are not sufficient, WFP food funds are reaching their maximum covering 1.3 million persons and health structures are not enough in capacity to cover all the needs.
Organization of the mission
The Nigeria mission is currently stabilized, following its recent opening. Due to projects’ expansion, a substantial increase in base staffing is ongoing.
The mission has a coordination team based in Maiduguri, operational bases in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa and Ngala.
The Coordination team is constituted of a Head of Mission, an Administrative Coordinator, a Logistic Coordinator managing a Deputy, and Deputy Country Director managing a WASH coordinator, a Shelter advisor, a MEAL advisor and a Grant manager.
In Maiduguri the team is currently composed of one Field Coordinator, a Project Manager, a Base Logistician and an Administrator.
The Monguno and Ngala bases are each composed of an Administrative and Logistics Base Manager and Project Managers.
The Dikwa base is composed of one Field Coordinator and a MultiSectorial Project manager.
Access to bases is relying on UNHAS helicopters with daily movements. Security level is reaching 3 on a scale of 5, and 4 in the bases. A specific curfew is set in each area, and strict security rules are in place.
ABOUT THE JOB
The WASH coordinator, as technical advisor of the mission, contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP.
He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
- Bac + 5 (master’s degree) degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Environment and/or Geology, and/or professional technical humanitarian-oriented training (Bioforce WASH)
- Previous experience in coordination position.
- Three years’ experience in relevant Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project management and/or coordination in NGO / humanitarian fields.
- Previous experience in an unstable environment significant previous experiences in emergency contexts and protracted crises (conflict / post conflict country), is an asset.
- Experience in cash-based project is an asset.
- Experience in team management.
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff.
- Significant experience in an English-speaking environment.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing.
- Technical knowledge on hydrogeology basics, boreholes drilling and O&M, wells construction, stream catchment and gravity flow network design and management.
- Knowledge of community mobilization, water and sanitation social management, hygiene promotion methodologies and public health basics.
- Knowledge in cash based initiatives is an asset.
- Knowledge of SI rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Knowledge of disaster risk reduction approaches would be an advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Good organization skills.
- Good writing/editing skills.
- English mandatory (oral and written), Housa would be an asset
Other desirable qualities:
- Knowledge of working in an Islamic country.
- Ability to live in security-tensed contexts with restrictive security rules and limited leisure and entertainment possibilities.
- Patience, persistence, pedagogic talent.
- Autonomy, rigor and the ability to adapt are indispensable skills.
- Knowledge of the Afghan context would be highly appreciated.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft office package, Google earth pro, any GIS software like ARCGIS and/or CAD software like AutoCAD).
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB : The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
- according to experience from 2200 euros gross per month,(2000 euros base salary plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem.
- accompanied with 500 usd monthly per diem.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- During the assignment, the expatriate is entitled to R&R every three months: five days at three months with a 750 usd allowance and 10 days at six months with a plane ticket back home covered by Solidarités.
- After 6 weeks one the field, expatriate will be encouraged to take 1 week in Abuja (3 days off and 2 days in office)
For further information about SI, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/*
Mallory GUILLOT, Recruitment & Follow Up Officer