Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
In Liberia, SI implements the Liberia Strategic Analysis (LSA) activity which provides USAID/Liberia with analytical and advisory services in support of strategic planning, project and activity design, performance monitoring and evaluation, and learning and adapting. LSA’s services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health, education, the environment, and economic growth.
USAID/Liberia has engaged LSA to conduct an external Midterm Performance Evaluation of a natural resource management activity. This activity develops key rural forest-based enterprises that provide inclusive, sustainable economic opportunities for rural farmers and forest-dependent communities in a way that combats deforestation, forest degradation, biodiversity loss, and reduces the threats to biodiversity.
The purpose of this evaluation is to measure progress of the first two years of implementation and investigate the effectiveness of technical assistance and capacity building approaches to achieve the objectives of the activity. USAID/Liberia will use findings from this evaluation to inform future investment in the forest sector and help inform its continued support of biodiversity directives.
The estimated start date will be February 26, 2018 through May 2018. The estimated LOE will be 42 days.
Deadline for applications: January 19th, 2018
SI is seeking a Natural Resource Management Specialist who will provide technical support related to the evaluation team. The Natural Resource Management Specialist will be working alongside three team members: Team Leader, Agro-Forestry Enterprise Specialist, and Evaluation Specialist.
· Provide global knowledge and best practices in natural resource management.
· Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis.
· Provide technical expertise and support the Team Leader’s efforts in evaluation design, methodology, and data collection instruments.
· Schedule and interview key stakeholders and beneficiaries.
· Provide ongoing analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
· Support the preparation and presentation of the key findings and recommendations to USAID/Liberia.
· Write assigned sections of the draft evaluation report in coordination with team members, taking into consideration feedback from the preliminary findings presentation.
· Respond to USAID comments on the draft report.
· Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise.
· Must have at least eight years of experience in the design and implementation of natural resource management interventions in developing countries.
· An advanced degree in a discipline related to natural resource management, land policy, forestry, biodiversity, or research.
· Demonstrated experience working on community forestry and landscape management through technical assistance and capacity building of Government institutions and community-based governance.
· Background in Community Forestry, Non-Timber Forest Products, Remote Sensing/GIS, Forest Inventory and Biodiversity Monitoring, and working in partnership with communities to improve forest management.
· Knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, and procedures in natural resource management is desirable.
· Previous work experience on multi-disciplinary teams and designing and conducting USAID evaluations in West Africa is preferred.
· Exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills