Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) is seeking to fill one faculty position for its Eastern Himalaya-Northeast India Initiative based in Gangtok, Sikkim.
The position will be affiliated to the Ecosystem Services and Human Well Being Programme of the Suri Sehgal Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation. The position will focus on building an interdisciplinary understanding of the impacts of climate and other global change on agro-ecosystems in the Eastern Himalaya-Northeast India. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Understanding the effects of ongoing and future climate and global change on agro-ecosystems and ecosystem services.Developing adaptation strategies to reduce the impact of climate change, particularly in agro-ecosystems
- Providing critical inputs to various ATREE projects being implemented in the region that have climate change mitigation adaptation and components.
- Providing key policy level inputs to climate change related issues particularly from the mountain area perspective.
The applicant may have a background in agriculture and soil sciences/environmental sciences
- PhD from a reputed university and at least two years of post-PhD research experience (or equivalent pre-PhD work experience)
- Strong publication record related to the area of research
- Strong motivation towards interdisciplinary problem-solving and policy-/action-relevant research
- Understanding of the key issues in and challenges facing agriculture in relation to climate and global change in the Himalayas
- Ability to work in a team and to build teams
- Ability to contribute to the ATREE PhD programme in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies and/or ATREE’s policy outreach efforts
- Demonstrated ability to obtain research grants
- Prior teaching experience
- Prior experience and demonstrated interest in working in the Himalayas/ North-East
Appointments and emoluments
Appointments will normally be at the level of Fellow (equivalent to Assistant Professor), but candidates for more senior positions will also be considered. Similarly, fresh PhDs could be considered for ‘faculty-track’ post-doctoral positions. The positions are long-term, supported by endowments. Salaries at
Faculty Position for work on Climate and Global Change Adaptation for the ATREE Eastern Himalaya-Northeast India Initiative
ATREE are competitive and at par with the IITs/IISc. The position will be based in Gangtok, but will involve regular visits to Bangalore for teaching and research meetings.
ATREE is one of South Asia’s leading conservation and environmental research organizations. ATREE seeks to address pressing environmental challenges through interdisciplinary research, teaching and active engagement with civil society and policy makers. ATREE fosters autonomy, professional growth, diversity and gender equity at the work place. Women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email their CV, names and contact information of three references, a concise and clear proposal (five pages) and a letter describing their professional goals and interests. Mails and queries should be addressed to:
The HR Officer, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment E-mail: [email protected] Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur P.O. Bangalore 560 064. Tel: +91 (80) 2363-5555, Fax: 2353-0070