Environmental Analyst V (Watershed Planner)
The Monitoring, Assessment and Planning Program (MAPP) is seeking a uniquely qualified Watershed Planner to assist the Watershed Management Division’s (WSMD) efforts to implement the Vermont Surface Water Management Strategy. MAPP supports a dynamic and integrative work environment that provides surface water monitoring, assessment, analyses, and watershed management planning services to the regulatory, implementation and planning efforts in the Division and across ANR. The Environmental Analyst / Watershed Planner will bear responsibility for the development and maintenance of tactical basin plans for three major watersheds of Vermont, and will be a key player in the implementation of the newly signed Vermont Clean Water Act.
Specific identified duties of the Environmental Analyst / Watershed Planner include:
- Provide representation of DEC and ANR water quality programs to stakeholders including: Federal and state water quality, transportation, or planning agencies; municipalities; regional planning commissions; watershed associations; technical contractors; and to a limited degree, regulated entities in the public and private sector.
- Conduct tactical plan development activities for assigned watersheds.
- Assist local groups and organizations with obtaining funding to carry out the recommendations of the plan.
- Conduct administrative and technical activities, including serving the State’s manager over water quality contracts and grants.
- Conduct technical field water quality monitoring and assessment activities.
- Conduct public meetings relevant to tactical plans, and provide ongoing educational outreach as necessary.
- Evaluate the progress of the plan and the effectiveness of strategies including tracking project status and execution, maintaining accurate records, and keeping others notified of progress in a timely manner.
For more information on the Watershed Management Division, click here.
To view the full job description for this position, please visit the DHR Job Specifications page.
Bachelor's degree in a biological-life or physical science, engineering, or an environmental or natural resources field AND four (4) years or more at a professional level in a natural resources field.
Master's degree or higher in a biological-life or physical science, engineering, or an environmental or natural resources field AND two (2) years or more at a professional level in a natural resources field.
One (1) year or more of experience as an Environmental Analyst IV or two (2) years or more as an Environmental Analyst III.
Basin planning demands a high degree of technical skills, typically consistent with an educational level of M.S in water resources or environmental planning. Necessary skills for plan development include geographic information system analysis, quantitative analysis of water monitoring and assessment data, understanding of the geomorphological principles of river dynamics, and an understanding of both river and lake water pollution chemistry. As a basin planner has a significant public presence, the successful incumbent will also exhibit a high degree of emotional intelligence, self-awareness, interpersonal, and group facilitation skills.
As a State employee you are offered a great career opportunity, but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits that are worth about 30% of your total compensation, including:
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: Flexible schedules, 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Want the specifics? Explore the Benefits of State Employment on our website.