Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been implementing projects for Internally Displaced Persons and Refugees in Northern Uganda, West Nile and South Western respectively, since 1997. Having smoothly phased-out by end of August 2014 in the North, NRC reopened from September 2014, to compliment efforts of the Government of Uganda and UNHCR in supporting the South Sudanese Refugees currently settled in the Districts of Adjumani and Arua in West Nile. With funding from SIDA, NMFA, ECHO, UNHCR and UNICEF, NRC is implementing integrated projects in Arua, Yumbe and Adjumani/Palorinya Refugee settlements. NRC now seeks to recruit and Project Officer – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
The Project Officer – WASH will assist the PC – WASH in providing technical support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming for both new installation/construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of water supply facilities and provision of safe water to the refugees and neighbouring host communities. He/she will also work closely with the other Project Officers and Assistants in the field to ensure timely delivery of quality construction, and will assist the PC in overall planning and design of projects.
- In collaboration with other members of the WASH team and support staff, participate in the design of programme activities with clear timelines and deliverables; actively involved in the conduct of assessments and baseline studies in order to identify WASH related health risks priorities. Ensure that all assessments and data collection are done in an integrated manner and that a Do no Harm approach is employed.
- Collect, record and qualitative and quantitative data and facilitate community consultation to feedback the result of assessments;
- Work with the Programme support team, in particular the Logistics and Finance team on Market assessments
- Provide weekly update reports
- Contribute in developing work plans and program activities to guide the implementation of WASH activities.
- Work closely with the engineering team to mobilise the refugee community in the design, implementation and monitoring of WaSH facilities;
- Manage, support and supervise the work of PHP assistants and mobilizers.
- Ensure water quality monitoring followed through, regular feedback and report upwards.
- Coordinate with health IPs and collect regular epidemiological data that help to take appropriate action.
- Ensure the sanitation facilities design is in line with the agreed standards. Support and supervise the contractor.
- Work with other team members, contribute in the design, dissemination and monitoring of culturally appropriate IEC strategy and related activities;
- Conduct training for staffs on PHP and promoters on WaSH basics, community mobilisation, dialoguing and effective messaging;
- Support the identification, training and mobilisation of refugee based structures such as Water user groups/Water Management Committees and enable them to effectively undertake confidently refugee engagement processes, hygiene promotion outreach and mobilisation activities in camps
- Ensure WASH user committees supervise, manage and monitor the WASH facilities and mobilize refugees in taking action to improve high risk hygiene practices. Work with DHO on information dissemination related good hygiene practices.
- Take initiatives to facilitate and Implement hygiene for specific target groups with particular focus on WASH in Schools (WinS) and PSN.
- Ensure that regular feedback to the WASH User Committees local authorities (OPM) and other IPs to ensure accountability and protection issues are taken into account;
- Apply NRC’s minimum requirements on accountability to refugees in the implementation of PHP/ community Engagement activities disseminate hotlines, establish feedback boxes and other appropriate means in selected areas and conduct micro survey
- Raise awareness and build capacity of community affected by the conflict in adhering to Oxfam and international humanitarian parameters.
- To ensure that the programme take gender, protection issues fully into account.
- .Degree in Social Sciences or related field
- .3 years experience implementing WASH projects
- .Experience in a humanitarian (emergency) and development WASH programme preferably with an INGO.
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme Problem solving and analysis often involves difficult decision-making based on scenarios and unknown variables;
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
- Input to decision making on whether and/or on the scope, size and quality of the programme
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; knowledge of local language is highly desirable.
- Gender sensitivity and considers Protection issues
- Duty Station: Rhino-Arua /Adjumani/Palorinya
- Travel: Travel expected
- Salary as per NRC Salary provisions
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected