Uganda nationals: WASH Project Officer
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been implementing projects for Internally Displaced Persons and Refugees in Northern Uganda, West Nile and South Western respectively, since 1997. Having smoothly phased-out by end of August 2014 in the North, NRC reopened from September 2014, to compliment efforts of the Government of Uganda and UNHCR in supporting the South Sudanese Refugees currently settled in the Districts of Adjumani and Arua in West Nile. With funding from SIDA, NMFA, ECHO, UNHCR and UNICEF, NRC is implementing integrated projects in Arua, Yumbe and Adjumani/Palorinya Refugee settlements. NRC undertakes urban refugee programme in Kampala. NRC now seeks to recruit and Project Officer - Water Supply. Main purpose of the position is to ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the water supply activities in Yumbe, Rhino, Adjumani and Moyo Refugee Settlement, west Nile region. The Project Officer - Water Supply will assist the PC - WASH in providing technical support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming for both new installation/construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of water supply facilities and provision of safe water to the refugees and neighbouring host communities. He/she will also work closely with the other Project Officers and Assistants in the field to ensure timely delivery of quality construction, and will assist the PC in overall planning and design of projects.
- Conduct water supply needs assessment regularly as required and advise accordingly
- Conduct routine assessment and monitoring the performance of motorized boreholes, hand pumps, generators, water pipeline networks, water storage tanks and daily water distribution, and advice on corrective measures or preventive maintenance on the water supply systems.
- Carrying out of aquifer monitoring procedures, tests, and the interpretation of step drawdown, recovery rates and thereby come up with appropriate actions for remedy and sustainable exploitation of ground water resources.
- Collect, record and qualitative and quantitative data and facilitate community consultation to feedback the result of assessments;
- Work closely with the sanitation and hygiene team to mobilize the refugee community in the design, implementation and monitoring of WASH facilities and related services.
- Manage the NRC’s water supply systems in the refugee settlements and host communities, advice on the maintenance system, storage and supply lines, coordinate the entire team in responding to water supply and distribution issues, breakdowns, leakages and bursts in the water supply system.
- Ensure smooth and quality implementation of water supply activities e.g emergency water trucking, borehole drilling & installation, borehole rehabilitation, test pumping, installation of storage tanks and distribution networks (pipelines, tap stands, etc.)
- Ensure water treatment and routine water quality monitoring with regular feedback, reporting, and precautionary measures taken to ensure supply of treated/safe water at all times.
- As a technical person, ensure the water and sanitation facilities designs are in line with the agreed standards. Support and supervise the contractor.
- Supervise and monitor construction of water and sanitation facilities in accordance to approved work plan, budgets, technical specifications and/or terms of reference (ToR), in coordination with sanitation/hygiene team.
- Ensure that all planning processes and bill of quantities are in line with budget planning, budgetary constraints and in accordance to donor requirements.
- Prepare material estimates for construction and repair of water and sanitation facilities.
- Manage, support and supervise the work of WASH assistants and other staff, and Contractors implementing various water supply activities
- Provide guidance to the borehole operators, pump attendants and other water supply operators, on the mandatory procedures for preventive maintenance tasks
- Liaise and work with Plumbers, Masons, Plant mechanics and electricians, ensure proper servicing and repairs on the water systems are done on time and as scheduled, using the right quality spare parts and consumables
- Work with other team members, to contribute in the design, dissemination and monitoring of field related activities;
- Ensure proper documentation and reporting on WASH activities in project area.
- Bachelors Degree Civil Engineering or related discipline
- Diploma with over 3 years experience implementing water supply related activities in Emergency
- Professional qualification in water and sanitation backed by at least 3 years of practical WASH in emergencies experience will be an added advantage
- .Experience in a humanitarian (emergency) and development WASH programme preferably with an INGO.
- Duty Station: Rhino-Arua /Adjumani/Palorinya
- Travel: Travel expected
- Salary as per NRC Salary provisions