WASH Specialist (Global Roving)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is increasing its capacity to support its operations with human resources when needed. As part of this process, its pool of Global Roving staff is being strengthened. The position as Global Roving WASH Specialist offers experienced humanitarians the opportunity to be deployed to any of NRC’s operations, filling critical staffing gaps or providing support when needs occur.
The purpose of the WASH Specialist position is technical development of WASH, strategic direction and quality assurance, the WASH strategy and quality control. The WASH Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training and capacity build staff on WASH technical capacity.
The main purpose of the Global Roving WASH Specialist position is, but not limited, to:
1. Function as interim WASH Specialist in an existing NRC country programme
2. Function in a WASH Advisory capacity to a Country or Regional Office, to:
• Develop national staff capacity within WASH, AND/OR
• Review and audit existing WASH work in an operation, AND/OR
• Develop and improve the WASH provision in an operation, including support with implementation of global strategic initiatives
The Global Roving WASH Specialist will undertake short-term deployments, up to 6 months, to different NRC country operations.
- The WASH Specialist is overall responsible for:
- Developing WASH strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contributing to fundraising, developing and revising funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identifying trends, technical standards and donor priorities
- Following up on compliance with contractual commitments within WASH, ensuring high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Providing technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensuring that key learnings are extracted from WASH implementation, and incorporate them in WASH and staff development processes
- Providing systematic training and building capacity of technical staff
- Representing NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promoting the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Minimum 4 years of experience within WASH technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context, including in a managerial capacity
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Advanced WASH knowledge and expertise
- Familiarity with and experience of using cash-based approaches in emergencies
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. French an asset
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness and interest to work in emergency situations and insecure contexts.
- Need to be highly flexible in tasks.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council must adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Health Certificate will be requested before signing of Employment Contract.
- Commencement: April 2018
- Contract period: 24 months with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general conditions. Please note that tax fees may occur for some countries.
- The deployments are always non-family postings.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.