The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
To strengthen the capacity to respond immediately to the needs of our beneficiaries when a crisis occurs, NRC operates Emergency Response Teams, each consisting of three staff. The ERTs are deployed both to support NRC Country Offices in their response to an emergency and to emergencies in countries where NRC has no prior presence for assessment and possible initiation of an emergency response. If setting up a regular programme, the capapcity will be supported by additional staff depending on what is needed for the specific emergency.
NRC is now recruiting for a new Shelter/WASH Expert for one of our Emergency Response Teams.
- Accountability for planning and start-up of NRC’s emergency shelter/WASH activities, through the deliverance of high quality programmes in line with NRC’s mission statement and policies
- Based on assessments, coordination and available resources, and in consultation with affected communities, select and implement shelter/WASH mechanisms suited to the humanitarian context and ensure the implementation of relevant technology and methods
- Until longer-term NRC staff is present, responsible for the selection of emergency shelter/WASH material; developing and supervising the distribution plans for these materials
- Select and train key national staff
- Appraise and select key local partners
- Define indicators and proposed end point/exit
- Safeguard cost effectiveness
- Ensure proper hand-over of programme details before conclusion of the initial acute period
- Contribute to/develop proposals and concept notes to obtain emergency funding.
- Experienced field worker with minimum 5 years of emergency shelter/WASH experience from complex emergencies and/or natural disasters in demanding security environments
- Ideally good understanding of cash based approaches along with experience in integrated programming across various sectors
- Experience from working in an NRC programme and understanding of its systems and working methods an asset
- Experience in dealing with donors, government and UN officials
- Experience from coordination mechanisms, in particular within the emergency shelter/WASH cluster system
- Fluency in English and French, both oral and written. Other languages an asset.
- Holder of a valid international driver’s licence
- Willingness and interest to work in emergency situations and insecure contexts.
- Need to be highly flexible in tasks.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council must adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Health Certificate will be requested before signing of Employment Contract.
- Commencement: April 2018
- Contract period: 24 months with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general conditions. Please note that tax fees may occur for some countries.
- The deployments are always non-family postings.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.