SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is looking for a Urban Water Supply Specialist/Team Leader for an anticipated project in Nepal. The key objective of the project will be to update the capital investment and asset management plan for Kathmandu Valley for water and wastewater, to help optimize water supply and wastewater infrastructure for providing realistic levels of service to the people taking into consideration social, economic, institutional and environmental factors; and to provide a roadmap to 2050 for phased investments for the rehabilitation, expansion and augmentation of water supply and wastewater services in all the municipalities of the Kathmandu Valley.
The Urban Water Supply Specialist/Team Leader will be responsible for overall leadership, project management and high quality of all outputs. This will include taking the lead in the development of the water supply and wastewater master plans, the preparation of the capital investment plan and the asset management plan.
The Urban Water Supply Specialist/Team Leader will undertake the following specific activities:
- Ensure adequate consultation and coordination with relevant stakeholders in preparation of the updated master plans and investment plans;
- Review and develop appropriate and realistic design criteria for preparation of the water supply and wastewater master plans and for use in the design of water supply and wastewater facilities for Kathmandu Valley;
- Introduce into the water supply master plan suitable demand management techniques and incorporating these into the proposed design criteria;
- Identify water supply development needs for each Municipality and the extent of development required beyond that specified in the 2010 capital investment and asset management plans and the current and programmed loan projects;
- Based on the proposed design criteria, identify the extent of the service area in Kathmandu Valley that can be supplied;
- Prepare a 5 year rolling investment plan based on infrastructure identified in the water supply and wastewater master plans;
- Develop a Decision Support System to prioritise potential investments in consultation with key stakeholders;
- Develop an Implementation Risk and Mitigation Strategy for the water supply and sanitation sector in Kathmandu Valley; and
- Manage all inputs related to the preparation of an Asset Management Plan (AMP), including the asset register, condition survey, asset valuation and the AMP for both water supply and wastewater.
- An academic background in Civil or Environmental Engineering specializing in water supply and sewerage.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience of working in an international environment, leading multi-disciplinary teams. Experience in Nepal will be most advantageous; experience in Asia will be considered an advantage, especially South Asia;
- Experience of consulting for international agencies such as the ADB, World Bank, EBRD;
- Experience in the preparation of water supply and/or wastewater master plans for large cities with populations in excess of 5 million; and
- Proven experience of working with government at all levels and delivering high quality outputs.
- Excellent communication skills are required especially the ability to present to a diverse audience, especially senior executive and government officials and fluency in written and Spoken English is essential.
This is a locally engaged position and a competitive salary package will be offered to the preferred candidate in line with local labour laws. The position is open to Nepalese nationals and permanent residents with international work experience in similar projects and similar positions with authority to live and work in Nepal.