Local hire: Senior Environmental Specialist
The World Bank Group (WBG) is seeking to recruit a Senior Environmental Specialist to be based in the World Bank Office in Vientiane to provide technical, analytical, operational and business development leadership in the areas of environmental safeguards, environmental management, natural resources management, climate change and green growth.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will report to the ENR EAP GEN2B Practice Manager.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will form an integral part of the SEA safeguards team and will contribute to delivery of quality environmental safeguards support to the portfolio there. S/he will also be responsible, working with environmental specialist colleagues based in other countries of South-East Asia (SEA) and EAP as well as Washington DC, building long-term business relationships with Bank task teams and national and local government stakeholders, including development partners and NGOs/civil society involved in environmental due diligence process. Furthermore, s/he will work closely with the safeguard coordinator for the South-East Asia CMU based in Yangon, and with the EAP Regional Safeguard Coordinator and will also support efforts in knowledge management to ensure best practices and lessons learned are reflected in our policy and operational advice internally and externally.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will have overall responsibility for four key areas:
Environmental safeguards: Contribute to provide conceptual, operational and technical support on environmental safeguard under World Bank policies and the new Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) including: Participating as reviewer or leader of the preparation of selected environmental safeguards instruments and their documentation and supervising their implementation; Assisting Practice Manager in the review and clearance of delegated Bank operations by confirming compliance with environmental safeguard policies, and ensuring the quality of environmental safeguard documents; providing input and reviewing terms of reference for environmental assessments and other safeguards work, advising Clients on the requirements of environmental safeguard policies to guide them on delivering quality environmental safeguards project documentation and supporting analysis. Under the ESF, responsibilities will specific include (i) due diligence of proposed projects (screening ES risks in projects, scoping, QA of instruments); (ii) support with stakeholder engagement; (iii) helping Borrower to identify and produce appropriate tools / methods for ES risk assessment / management; (iv) formulate ES conditions for Bank involvement; and (v) monitor ES risks and performance through project life;
- Engagements and dialogue with government counterparts, other development partners and civil society/NGOs and, in this context, contributing to the development/updating and implementation of the Bank’s environmental engagement strategy and environmental engagement priorities for SEA countries, including the roll-out of the new ESF;
- Task management of select pieces of analytical work and/or projects related to environmental safeguards, environmental management, climate change; pollution management and natural resources, and/or lead/develop components or activities in projects;
- Collaborate with other Global Practices and contribute to development and implementation of a multi-sectoral World Bank portfolio in the SEA.
It is expected that the successful candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in environmental engineering, environmental science, environmental management or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in the environment sector leading environmental safeguard work, analytical work and operations in the environment sector;
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: environmental assessment, environmental monitoring, environmental risk management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD), pollution management and environmental sector policy;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of multiple multidisciplinary teams and provide effective safeguards inputs and solutions to multiple operations in parallel;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate activities involving multiple disciplines and organizational units, as well as to maintain high service standards under pressure, meet deadlines, and accommodate simultaneous demands from various sources;
- Skill at managing client and partner engagements;
- Knowledge and experience with Bank environmental safeguard policies and procedures (environmental assessments, natural habitats, pest management, forests, physical cultural resources, and safety of dams);
- Preferably knowledge of project management skills, including client management, scheduling and budgeting, financial management, procurement, and project team management;
- Preferably knowledge of relevant Bank operational policies and experience in identifying, preparing, appraising, and supervising financial institution operations;
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide guidance to Bank teams and clients;
- Proven ability to articulate the development rationale for safeguards and a commitment to implementing the policies in a manner which is both pragmatic but fully respects the intent of the policies;
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgments in a work environment with tight processing constraints;
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and diplomatic skills, and the ability to effectively negotiate and achieve balanced solutions to complex development problems;
- Experience with the planning and conduct of training programs for external and internal audiences concerning environmental risk/safeguards management;
- Demonstrated skills and commitment to: Client Orientation; Drive for Results; Teamwork (collaboration) and Inclusion; Knowledge, Learning and Communication; and Business Judgment;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and ability to work proficiently in Lao language.