Technical Expert (Sustainability and Climate Change Adaptation)
Background Information - Job-specific
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) was established in 1990 and mandated by name in United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/45/181.The WSSCC Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and aims to accelerate the achievement of sustainable sanitation, hygiene and water services for all people, with special attention to the unserved poor, by enhancing collaboration and coordination of all sector stakeholders. The WSSCC Secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland. More information on WSSCC can be found on the website at www.wsscc.org.
The Technical Expert, Sustainability & Climate Change Adaptation is tasked with adapting and developing new thinking and promoting successful approaches that improve the relevance of country and regional initiatives. The Technical Expert adapts and develops new thinking into practical applications for ease of utilization by WSSCC membership, National Coordination Mechanism and programme teams. The Technical Expert contributes to all teams of the WSSCC elevating their collective knowledge and capacity.
- Adapt and refine sector-specific WSSCC technical approaches that advance the Council strategy and has practical utility for National Coordinators and membership.
- Provide technical guidance to WSSCC’s country programme teams and in-country engagements, collaborating with and advising National Coordinators and other partners and implementing agencies ensuring WSSCC supported activities are strategically aligned, evidence based and results focused.
- Support GSF country programme development and implementation in selected countries, with a specific focus on Sustainability & Climate Change Adaptationis and hygiene behavior change that enhances local capacity for sustainable knowledge management.
- Authors components to reports with guidance from the Head, Technical Unit or other lead experts, for the Global Policy and Innovation team with evidence based results demonstrating impact of sustainability and climate change adaptation in WSSCC’s work.
- Develop practical partnerships with other organizations/programmes towards further thematic learning, capacity development, networking and knowledge management.
- Build a peer network of experts across national, regional and international organizations and academia that keeps the sustainability area relevant, showcases the work of the Council and attracts interest in, and collaboration with, WSSCC.
- Facilitate expert knowledge exchange and policy enhancement through strategic engagement in practitioner workshops, regional conferences and sector events.
- Support in-country, theme-related learning events in technical area, collecting feedback data on relevance of new initiatives that informs continuous improvements to learning initiatives.
- Develop learning products and tools in collaboration with National Coordinators, Membership and prgrammme teams that reflect specific country requirements while promoting global policy.
- Design and support theme-related capacity development for WSSCC programme staff.
- Collaborates with other Council Technical Experts on coordination, alignment and integration of work, identifying areas for cooperation and learning that synergistically improves the work and contributions of the entire technical team.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Master's degree in a relevant field such as development studies or environment science or international relations or social science or political science or other relevant areas is required.
- A bachelor's degree in any of the above relevant areas with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the master's degree.
- With master's degree minimum five years working on development or humanitarian or climate change sectors or related areas within international development is required.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Fixed Term Staff Contract
- Contract level: ICS10 / P3
- Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability.