UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every Child, Hope
UNICEF has been achieving important progress on education, child rights, nutrition, and WASH in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Challenges remain, though, and in spite of its vast physical size and limitless natural resources, the DRC poses a complex operational environment in terms of infrastructure challenges. Child poverty is widespread, and according to a recent UNICEF study, 80 percent of children aged zero to 15 years old face at least two major deprivations.
In WASH, we have been collaborating with partners to provide widespread WASH services, including to children and their families living in conflict affected areas. We are looking for motivated and energetic professionals to help achieve further WASH goals in the country.
Join our team and help create a better world for every child.
How can you make a difference?
1. Management support to the Chief of WASH
- Advise the Chief of WASH in establishing the annual work plan and annual workplan outputs, activities and developmental priorities of WASH section staff, determining priorities and performance measurements. Monitor workplan implementation, to ensure that WASH output results are achieved to schedule and performance standards. Report critical issues to the Chief of WASH for timely action.
- Provide technical advice to WASH section staff on all aspects of programming and implementation.
- Perform the full duties of the Chief of WASH in his/her absence.
2. Programme development and planning
- Draft the WASH inputs for the situation analysis. Provide comprehensive and current data to inform WASH policy and programme development, planning, management and implementation. Keep abreast of WASH sector developments, for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in WASH programme design, management and implementation.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss national WASH priorities, resources, strategies and methodologies to ensure the most strategic use of the collective resources of external support agencies.
- Participate in strategic WASH programme planning discussions and the formulation of the WASH outcome and output results, related indicators, baselines, targets and means of verification, ensuring alignment with the UNICEF’s Strategic Plan, UNICEF’s global WASH strategy and the country programme as well as government plans and priorities, and the role of other WASH external support agencies.
- Prepare WASH donor proposals, ensuring alignment with the WASH output results in the country programme.
3. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Draft documentation for programme reviews and analytical statements on progress and constraints of WASH outcome and output results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes for the achievement of the WASH output results. Ensure effective collaboration with other UNICEF sectors, where needed.
- With other external support agencies, analyze national government WASH sector programmes and projects, with a focus on WASH outcomes (behaviors), using bottleneck analysis tools available in the sector (WASH-BAT, CSOs, SDAs).
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other partners and prepare reports for the Chief of WASH and CO management.
- Monitor, report and certify the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report issues to the Chief of WASH, for timely resolution.
- Prepare sectoral progress reports for management, donors and partners.
4. Advisory services and technical support
- Participate in strategic discussions to influence national WASH policies and strategies, including the reduction of inequalities, contributing global sector learning.
- Advise senior officials in government, NGOs, UN agencies and WASH sector donor agencies on WASH policies, strategies and best practices.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic materials for use by management, donors, UNICEF regional office and headquarters.
- Plan for the use of technical experts from the Regional Office and HQ, as and where appropriate in the WASH programme, through remote support and on-site visits.
5. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with government counterparts, UN agencies, donor agencies, WASH institutions, NGOs, research institutes and the private sector to stimulate coordination and collaboration.
- Support analysis of national budgets for WASH, cost analysis and value-for-money studies, to advocate for improvements in sector efficiency.
- Produce materials for WASH programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fund-raising.
- Participate in inter-agency discussions, ensuring that UNICEF’s position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the planning and agenda setting.
- Interact with global and regional initiatives and partnerships for WASH.
6 Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Manage all aspects of UNICEF’s preparedness for WASH in emergencies.
- Ensure the coordination arrangements for humanitarian WASH are in place, for instant robust coordination in case of an emergency.
- Ensure that all UNICEF WASH staff are familiar with UNICEF’s procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up leadership/managerial role in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
7. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Manage the implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems), ensuring rigorous monitoring and wide sharing of results.
- Prepare learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Support the professional development of UNICEF WASH staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
- Initiate and contribute to the systematic assessment of WASH sector capacity gap analysis, in collaboration with government and other stakeholders, and support the design of initiative to strengthen capacities systematically.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Qualification of Successful Candidate
An advanced university degree in public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering or other specialist field related to WASH is required.
A minimum of eight years of professional work experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries.
Oral and written proficiency in French and English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
Opening Date Thu Dec 28 2017 09:00:00 GMT+0100 (CET) W. Central Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Mon Jan 15 2018 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (CET)