Responsibilities and tasks
- Support in synthesising initiatives’ achievements and developing strategic documents such as issue briefs and other knowledge products for influencing policy and practice.
- Develop draft publications or other forms of communication materials such as videos and flyers from diverse material provided by programme staff such as reports, summaries, presentations, and verbal inputs.
- Prepare impact stories for the web and public dissemination. Travel to project activity sites may be required.
- Summarize and rewrite text for different purposes (e.g., media articles, peer-reviewed journal articles, web summaries, and information sheets).
- Support documentation of workshops and conferences as a rapporteur and/or editor.
- Ensure initiative publications are collected, registered, and shared through ICIMOD’s online document repository, HimalDoc.
- Edit routine publications such as workshop reports and other publications, as and when needed.
- Prepare and design strategies and plans for communication and outreach for the initiative within the framework of the Knowledge Management and Communications Strategy.
- Expand the initiative’s outreach based on its existing communication strategy targeted at varied knowledge networks.
- In collaboration with other KMC colleagues, draft press releases, advisories, factsheets, newsletters, press/media kits, event proceedings, and news stories for media uptake and to inform key partners and other targeted audiences about the results and achievements of the initiative.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing with partners providing a steady flow of news and stories for website/publications, keeping partners aware of the initiatives’ work.
- Provide training and capacity building support to initiative teams and partners on knowledge management and communication tools and processes, including training and capacity building on collecting and writing impact stories.
- Help monitor and evaluate the knowledge sharing programmes and activities to improve networking and outreach of the initiatives.
- Facilitate interface of initiatives with KMC for smooth running of operations in-house and with outside consultants, including designing, layout, and publishing.
- Provide relevant inputs and information to keep the initiatives’ website and other information portals up-to-date.
- Facilitate submission to KMC and ICIMOD’s internal Publications and Outreach Committee for approval, including editing, liaison between authors to ensure feedback is incorporated when required.
- Identify the communication and knowledge management needs of the initiatives and suggest appropriate KM and communications tools/services available in-house.
- Perform other related duties as required and as may be requested by the KMC Senior Manager.
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Information Management/Science, Development Communication, Knowledge Management, or related field with extensive experience in information, behavioural, and/or communications sciences,
- Minimum two years of work experience in the field of communications as a communications specialist or journalist.
- Sound knowledge of communication strategies, knowledge management tools, and information technology.
- Cross Cultural Impact: Ability to adapt personal style, manners, and communication to accommodate various cultures. Able to modify methods based on an understanding of the local business customs and practices and be able to find solution in case of misunderstanding.
- Result Orientation: Ability to works independently with strong sense of initiative, discipline and self-motivation and takes responsibility for fulfilling goals
- Team Work and Cooperation: Ability to work effectively and smoothly across teams with intercultural sensitivity and take actions to build a cohesive work climate in which all members are included.
- Analytical Thinking: Ability to analyse data, to bring different viewpoints into the decision making process and to sets priorities among competing interests
- Networking/Stakeholder Management: Ability to maintain existing linkages and effectively communicate with stakeholders and other external parties on different levels.
- Impactful Communication: Ability to present and discuss ideas effectively within the team along with demonstrated active listening skills.
- Continuous Improvement and Innovation: Ability to implement new technologies and approaches and present opportunities while making improvements in own work area. Able Questions status quo practices/traditions and assumptions
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 02 Jan 2018 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.