This is a fixed-term appointment for 3 years, which may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff with a regular appointment, his/her selection will be for an initial fixed period of 3 years subject to Section 5 of Administrative Order No. 2.03 (“Performance Management, Selection, transfers, Promotion, Position Classification and Staff Level Complement System”) and the terms of his/her regular appointment. For ADB staff selected with a fixed term appointment, such appointment will cease and he/she will be given a new appointment based on Section 5 of AO 2.03.
Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of the division’s work in support of overall ADB vision and goals. Actively participate in and contribute to planning and implementation of the departmental operations and delivery as a member of the SARD Management Team. Oversee the quality of work and ensure the achievement of objectives of the division. Lead and support external and internal relations, coordination and consultation initiatives for the department. Lead and provide guidance on day-to-day operational issues and compliance with ADB policies. Work with complex issues and guide others in resolving complex problems with high levels of risk.
a. Leadership and Strategic Management• Lead, establish and cascade the division’s vision, goals, development strategies and key result areas (KRAs) in support of ADB’s goals, departmental goals and in compliance with ADB policies.• Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of work plans as well as monitor the quality of output and the achievement of long term goals and annual objectives for the division.• Lead and identify key priority areas of the division, including in regional cooperation.• Lead and provide leadership in professional and operational matters, taking the lead in contributing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
b. Country Partnership Strategy • Oversee the quality of the division’s support for the Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and updates preparation and the effective functioning of related committees and networks.• Coordinate with Country Directors (CDs) for implementation of operational strategies.
c. Project Management• Oversee the design and processing of loan/technical assistance (TA) projects to ensure quality, innovation, results orientation, and compliance with ADB’s policies covering governance, resettlement, anti-corruption and other safeguards.• Lead, monitor, follow up and undertake, projects involving high levels of risk, loan/TA approvals, engagement of consultants, procurement, and disbursements.• Lead the administration of loan and TA projects, including regular fielding and at times participation in missions to monitor implementation progress.
d. Portfolio Management• Monitor the quality of the assigned loans/TAs and undertake corrective actions as necessary to maintain quality.• Support Country Portfolio Review Missions (CPRMs) to review country specific project administration issues.
e. Regional Cooperation • Lead and actively pursue activities in energy, transport and other relevant infrastructure subsectors, and participate in coordinating committees, senior official and ministerial meetings.• Contribute to the formulation and implementation of Regional Cooperation Partnership Strategies (RCPSs) and pipeline of regional projects for the regional cooperation programs SARD is responsible for.
f. Economic, Thematic and Sector Work• Lead, identify and anticipate opportunities and problems in sectors and themes and provide advice and information for policy discussions.• Lead and manage the conduct of sector/thematic studies and ensure their proper dissemination of knowledge products.
g. External Relations and Coordination• Provide support for relationship management, consultation and coordination with government, development partners, civil society, and private sector groups in developing member countries (DMCs) in area of responsibility.
h. Internal Relations• Provide support for relationship management and coordination with the Board, Senior Management and other departments.
i. Division Operations Management• Lead the effective day-to-day operations and provide guidance on operational issues and ADB policies.• Inform and provide recommendations to the DG of significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in area of responsibility.• Lead and facilitate effective division coordination and cooperation with other ADB departments and internal stakeholders.• Undertake the performance management of the division, including motivation of division staff.• Manage budget and resource allocation for the division.
j. Staff Supervision• Create and lead multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of their work.• Manage the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.• Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
Core and Managerial Competencies
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Develops and shares new theories and applications
- Develops other specialists in ADB and client organizations as a subject matter expert
- Convinces sophisticated clients to follow ADB’s technical advice
- Focuses on creating depth in area of technical expertise within ADB
- Leads complex client negotiations to achieve mutually agreeable outcomes
- Guides others on how to effectively involve diverse groups of stakeholders and clients in strategic planning
- Ensures consistent client satisfaction, particularly in highly sensitive and complex situations
- Proactively manages relationships with decision makers and opinion leaders that contributes to achieving ADB’s goals
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts complex analyses and reviews to achieve planned results
- Integrates projects and programs contributing to sector, country, and regional results
- Identifies and plans for future issues in programs and initiatives
- Designs operational processes, resources, and systems, to deliver higher quality results at lower cost
- Manages for results by planning staff resources, implementing, monitoring, and reporting outcomes
- Leads the achievement of interdepartmental or multi-client project goals
- Builds sustainable and productive long-term relationships with strategic partners at Ministerial, Central Agency and Sector level while appreciating differing objectives and concerns
- Actively manages potential team conflict situations before they arise
- Builds a safe environment within teams where staff and clients feel comfortable to openly share differing views and opinions
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Diligently seeks and acts on feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Consistently provides the appropriate level and amount of communication to internal and external stakeholders
- Develops approaches for information access and the dissemination of relevant knowledge solutions
- Stimulates the formation of novel and useful knowledge products and services
Innovation and Change
- Acts as a change sponsor to win the support of those who are resistant to Strategy 2020 or organizational changes
- Persuasively communicates the reasons for organization change, addressing concerns and encouraging thinking beyond possible immediate personal inconveniences
- Anticipates the need for changes in policies and procedures to increase the effectiveness of ADB’s assistance
- Drives the development of a continuous improvement and openness to change culture throughout ADB
- Ensures consistent and transparent application of staff policies in all situations, even when challenged by stakeholders
- Proactively manages the performance of all staff by delivering meaningful feedback about strengths, development areas, and performance issues at all opportunities
- Prioritizes staff management by building an open and supportive environment where all staff are focused on results, even in difficult situations
- Motivates staff to collaboratively achieve Departmental results and collectively share achievements
- Considers team strengths, development priorities, and divisional accountabilities, when distributing tasks and accountabilities
Leadership and Strategic Thinking
- Aligns words with actions
- Seeks opportunities to gain support and buy-in from internal and external stakeholders for ADB’s vision, mission and strategy
- Motivates others who are unclear or not aligned with the priorities of Strategy 2020 by explaining the rationale and big picture supporting objectives
- Sought out to assist in aligning Departmental and organizational strategies and work plans with the needs of Strategy 2020
- Consistently involves current and potential stakeholders in designing and managing organizational changes needed to achieve ADB’s strategic objectives
- Consistently assumes responsibility for Divisional or Departmental actions by explaining successes, failures, and proposing remedial actions
- Invests significant time in creating a culture of accountability and responsibility by using experience and advice to guide others
- Share accountability to improve the Division or Departmental performance and effectiveness
- Quickly manages and resolves situations when accountabilities are not met
Inspiring Trust and Integrity
- Expresses views and behaves that enforces ADB values and inspires others to follow
- Establishes an environment that encourages open communication and responsible information sharing
- Delivers on commitments, obligations, and promises
- Avoids abuse of power or authority in any circumstance
- Consistently applies and upholds ADB rules and code of conduct
- Takes prompt and consistent action to address unprofessional, improper, or unethical behavior, including possible misconduct and violations to ADB’s anticorruption policy
- Acts promptly to address any situations of perceived, potential, or actual conflicts of interest
- Maintains confidentiality of information in accordance with ADB rules
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in economics, water resources engineering, social sectors or related fields. University degree in economics, water resources engineering, social sectors or related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
- With at least 15 years…
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in the sector, project processing and administration; International experience working in several countries
- Proven management and leadership qualities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working in development in several countries and regional cooperation programs
- Supervisor: Head of Department/Office
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
- International Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.