The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH)
– Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Working in partnership with regional and international organizations, ICIMOD aims to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the HKH. ICIMOD provides a platform for researchers, practitioners, and policy makers from the region and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional cooperation. ICIMOD delivers impact through its six Regional Programmes:
1) Adaptation and Resilience Building, 2) Transboundary Landscapes, 3) River Basins and Cryosphere, 4) Atmosphere, 5) Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and 6) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks. These regional programmes are supported by four Thematic Areas
of Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions, and underpinned by Knowledge Management and Communication. ICIMOD seeks to reduce poverty and vulnerability and improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain women and men, now and in the future.
The Knowledge Management and Communications (KMC)
Unit serves as a resource for the organization through preparation and distribution of technical publications and information materials, media-related activities, outreach events, content development, and maintenance of the internal and external websites, all in line with the ICIMOD branding policy.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of KMC and in coordination with colleagues from across the institution, the Media Officer will perform the following tasks:
Build and maintain a network of journalists and other media-related persons across all ICIMOD Regional Member Countries for ensuring the widest reach possible for ICIMOD’s work;Liaise, network and seek opportunities to build relationships with local, regional, and international media platforms and channels for the dissemination of ICIMOD’s work;
Pro-actively engage with the media mapping exercise in each of ICIMOD’s Regional Member Countries so that the individual media-related contexts of those countries can be understood and optimally used to promote ICIMOD’s work through the appropriate platforms and channels;
Facilitate publication of press releases, media advisories, and news releases;
Monitor media coverage of ICIMOD work and share, post, and archive that coverage;
Coordinate publishing of staff features, opinion articles, and blogs in national, regional, and international media outlets;
Organize all aspects of media events such as press briefings/conferences, media workshops, thematic media sessions and assist in media aspects of outreach events;
Support KMC and initiative-led media trainings/workshops/interactions/field visits/for journalists in line with the requests from different programmes/themes/ initiatives, including support for in-house capacity building activities;
Act as the institutional media contact for all media-related matters across the institution including coordinating all requests for interviews by all media representatives in line with ICIMOD media guidelines and one-window policy at the Centre, and liaising closely with designated subject experts for media interactions;
Work in coordination with the Editorial Team to draft and promote templates and training for ICIMOD staff for improved composition of standard media materials such as press releases and media advisories;
Collate and package ICIMOD-wide news, event information, e-circulars, press releases, international day messages, and staff articles. Coordinate the dissemination of these products, as applicable, to partners, stakeholders, and media in the region and beyond;
Attend to all general queries relating to media and dissemination activities;
Work as a team player within KMC to support KMC-related activities in the Centre and work as a team player within ICIMOD to promote institutional goals.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Information Management/Science, Development Communication, Knowledge Management, or a related field with extensive experience in information, behavioural, and/or communications sciences
- At least 5 years of work experience in a communications-related field
- Sound knowledge of communication strategies, information technology, and the media landscape in the region
- Teamwork and cooperation: Ability to work effectively and smoothly across multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams and take actions to build a cohesive work climate in which all members are included. Solicits ideas and opinions to help form specific decisions and plans.
- Result orientation: Proactively approaches the smooth organisation of internal processes; ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline, and self-motivation. Sets challenging personal goals.
- Cross cultural impact: Able to adapt personal style, manners and communication to accommodate various cultures and to find appropriate ways to demonstrate ICIMOD values. Modifies methods based on an understanding of the local business customs and practices.
- Analytical thinking: Able to use logic and problem solving tools to develop plans. Brings different viewpoints into the decision-making process and set priorities among competing interests. Able to analyze data and makes a decision when needed on less than complete data.
- Impactful Communication: Presents and discusses ideas effectively within the team – conveys thoughts and ideas in a clear concise way; demonstrates active listening skills; ability to argue his/her standpoint in a clear and logical manner, making it evident that he/she believes in what he/she is saying.
- Behavioural flexibility and managing change: Able to adjust thinking and approach based on new information or events. Advocates change and helps others to learn how and when to adapt their behaviour most effectively.
- Developing others: Contributes to increased understanding in the institute of his/her own expertise and to raising awareness about compliance, protocols and processes. Actively supports continuous learning culture.
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Easily implements new technologies and approaches when necessary, makes improvements in own work area. Recognizes and reacts to present opportunities and questions status quo practices/traditions and assumptions.
Two years, with a probation period of 6 months, starting as early as possible, with a possibility of extension subject to performance and ICIMOD’s future funding levels.
Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application