Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso is seeking a qualified and committed individual to join the Adeso team as Hygiene promoters (2) for the emergency project in Afmadow district Lower juba region Somalia.
The Hygiene promoters will be based in Afmadow respectively and will be a full-time member of the Adeso team and will play a crucial role in the direct implementation of the project.
The overall purpose of the position is to contribute to health improvement though improved access to sustainable WASH services to Both IDPs, returnees and host communities. This will be achieved by working with and supporting the WASH technician and WASH Program manager in carrying out WASH assessments, hygiene promotion, monitoring, of hygiene and sanitation situation
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Help plan and carryout activities with the community to reduce WASH-related risks.
· Collect and record data on routine activities and share with Supervisor
· Participate in gathering of data during needs assessments, baseline survey and other assessments.
· Act as a link between the community leaders, the community and other stakeholders in the area
· Help identify key hygiene practices to be addressed and participate in carrying out appropriate activities to promote safe practices through
· Support to water committees, sanitation committees and other community groups
· Participation in organizing and carrying out hygiene promotion and campaigns
· Participation in community based solid waste management initiatives
· Act as a link between the community and the organization
· Mobilize the community to participate in the project and encourage all groups to participate in the project
· Ensure timely completion of project activities according to the weekly and monthly plans.
· Keep track of Adeso, materials and equipment and ensure their safety and proper use
· Be a good steward by ensuring that project materials and resources are used effectively.
· Ensure that WASH activities are integrated with other activities for optimum benefit of the beneficiaries.
· Ensure that cross cutting issues such as protection, gender, environment are addressed and mainstreamed in the project.
· Ensure that the vulnerable people also benefit from the project.
· Documentation and monitoring of emergency water trucking/voucher
· Assessing water points; collaborating with other WASH actors in given location as well as authorities and communities; analyzing the data for further repairs and upgrades
· Writing interventions reports in English using Adeso and Donor templates.
· Translating programme IEC materials into Somalia when required
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Degree in Environmental health or Diploma public health with prior knowledge/training/experience on Health, hygiene, community development Strong communication skills. At least at diploma level
· Good listening skills.
· Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different groups in the community
· Numeric, literacy and record keeping skills
· Speak/understand/write local language
· Knowledge of local context is added advantage
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 8rd January 2018.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources & Admin Manager and include the following:
· An updated CV; and
· An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.