The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) protects public health and the environment by supplying clean drinking water, collecting and treating wastewater, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. DEP delivers more than 1.1 billion gallons per day of the highest quality drinking water to 8.5 million NYC residents and more than 1 million people in Upstate New York, and has a wastewater conveyance and treatment system capable of processing over 1.3 billion gallons of wastewater per day to protect the environment and the city’s surrounding waterways.
The Bureau of Engineering Design & Construction (BEDC) currently has $10B of active construction contracts and another $3B of planning and design contracts under the responsibility and management of the bureau. The projects BEDC implement allow DEP as a whole to continue to operate and maintain an exemplary water supply system.
The Agency’s Vision is to be the safest, most efficient, cost effective, resilient, and transparent water utility in the nation. In order to carry out the mission of providing high quality, reliable water supply to New York City and some upstate communities, the Department operates a network of watershed wastewater treatment plants, dams, bridges, shafts, reservoirs, tunnels, pumping stations, ultraviolet disinfection systems, filtration systems, and associated facilities throughout New York City and its watershed. A substantial multibillion dollar capital program is required to provide for new infrastructure as well as the reconstruction of existing assets to ensure the integrity, continuity, and high quality of the water supply. The Water System Capital Program (WSCP) provides for the planning, design, construction management, and construction required to support our operating bureaus.
The Bureau of Engineering Design & Construction (BEDC) seeks to hire an Associate Project Manager to be a Project Manager for the Water Supply Capital Program (WSCP), located in Queens, NY. Under direction, the selected candidate will report to an Accountable Manager. S/he will supervise water and wastewater system projects within the watershed, which extends 125 miles north and west of the City, and within NYC. These projects may include reservoirs/dams, aqueducts, distribution tunnels, wastewater treatment plants, bridges, roadways or other miscellaneous infrastructure projects. The selected candidate will be responsible for planning, coordinating and directing the implementation of the design and construction of these projects.
The selected candidate will participate in the assessment of interrelationships between permit processes and the project. S/he will effectively resolve issues in coordination and communication with supervisor on moderately difficult issues as they relate to permitting issues and anticipated impacts on scope, cost and schedule. The selected candidate will develop scope, organizes, plan and execute multi-disciplinary site investigations. Additional tasks will also include: review, interpret, and approve complex contract documents to ensure compliance with applicable standards; direct scope, schedule, and cost development and management; maintain quality management controls; proactively manage project stakeholder expectations and provide clear communication regarding project status and to support the discussion and resolution of project issues; participate in staff training, development, and cross-training as well as performance management evaluations for supervisory review; review and comply with applicable environmental, health & safety (“EH&S”) laws and regulations as well as DEP’s EH&S policies and procedures and oversee the consultant selection and contracting process, and manage both consultant and in-house personnel.
**** Only those applicants with permanent Civil Service status as an Associate Project Manager are eligible to apply to this JVN. If you do not have permanent civil service status as an Associate Project Manager, please do not apply to this position as you will not be considered for an interview. ****
Minimum Qual Requirements
One year of full-time satisfactory experience in supervising employees performing project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating, or expediting, on engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects, or supervising a construction project with a value of $1,000,000 or more, and either:
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in engineering, engineering technology, architecture, architectural technology, landscape architecture, business administration, or public administration, and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating, or expediting, for engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects; or
2. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and five years of experience as described in “1” above; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization plus any combination of college education and/or experience described in “1” above to make up the equivalent of five years of education and experience. One year of experience credit will be given for (a) each 30 semester credits of college education leading to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in engineering, engineering technology, architecture, architectural technology, landscape architecture, business administration or public administration; (b)
a Masters degree from an accredited university in one of the disciplines described in “1” above; or (c) a valid New York State license as a Professional Engineer, Registered Architect, or Registered Landscape Architect.
Experience which is primarily of a design nature is not acceptable towards meeting the qualification requirements.
For placement into Assignment Level II, in addition to meeting the qualification requirements for Assignment Level I, candidates must have at least one additional year of experience as described in “1” above in a supervisory capacity or have served for at least one year as a project manager for a large and/or complex construction project.
For placement into Assignment Level III, in addition to meeting the qualification requirements for Assignment Level I, candidates must have at least two additional years of experience as described in “1” above in a supervisory capacity or have served for at least two additional years as a project manager for a large and/or complex construction project
• Critical thinking and effective independent data analysis
• Oral and written communication skills
• Understanding of project management principals
• Understanding of water and heavy civil infrastructure design practices and standards
• Understanding of drinking water treatment processes and technology
• Operation of a motor vehicle to perform site visits, equipment testing, inspections, attendance at stakeholder meetings
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel) and Microsoft Project
New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
New York, NY, United States 🇺🇸