JOB DESCRIPTION: Helps design and conduct research within a specified field while receiving advanced training from a designated Principal Investigator to enhance professional skills and research independence needed for pursuit of a career. The specific area of research in which the trainee is mentored is determined by the department and laboratory of the Postdoc. Designs and evaluates experiments. Develops new ideas that promote current research. Prepares and publishes scientific manuscripts under the direction of the Principal Investigator. May be responsible for operation of specific equipment. May teach techniques to others, train, and supervise research staff. Positions are temporary appointments as a research trainee. The initial appointment is for one year, renewal expected if progress is satisfactory and funds are available. Appointments cannot exceed five years.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A doctoral degree or equivalent (Ph.D., M.D., ScD., D.V.M., DDS etc) in an appropriate field. Excellent scientific writing ability and strong oral communication skills. The ability to work effectively and collegially with colleagues. Additional qualifications as specified by the Principal Investigator.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience working and running research studies in low-income settings
• Familiarity with database management and statistical analysis software
• Portuguese fluency and strong plus
• Laboratory experience preferred
• Ability to travel frequently and/or stay for extended periods in Mozambique
Additional Job Details
We are seeking a candidate with advanced knowledge of research methodology and techniques to manage a complex NIH-funded randomized trial on the health impacts of a large community water supply project in Mozambique. Supports development of and adherence to laboratory and field protocols related to water quality testing, environmental sampling, household surveys, biological sampling. Coordinates various aspects of the study and determines how research methodologies or tools must be modified. Ensures compliance to ethical review board approvals. Oversees relationships with in-country collaborators and field staff. Ensures that study data and systems are maintained and accurately documented. Develops reports to assess or monitor study performance and treatment results. Analyzes data, identifies data discrepancies and researches and identifies causes. May perform statistical analysis of numerical data. Coordinates and conducts meetings and presentations. Collaborates on writing reports and papers. Assists in the preparation of tables, graphs and manuscripts for publication and presentation. May design and develop databases related to specific programs at the request of supervisor and/or Principal Investigator. Performs related responsibilities as required.
Frequent travel to and extended stays in Mozambique required. Portuguese fluency a strong plus.
Under the supervision of the PIs, the Research Manager will:
• Develop field protocols, including household data collection, water quality sampling, environmental sampling, biological sampling
• Support piloting of protocols
• Ensure compliance of study team to protocols and modify protocols as needed
• Develop data collection tools and establish and manage databases
• Liaise with laboratory and field staff to ensure proper documentation and recording of study data
• Ensure compliance with relevant ethical review board approvals and update protocols and approvals as required
• Conduct formative research
• Provide training for related health workers and community volunteers on the monitoring and evaluation system of the project.
• Develop work plans, detailed implementation plans and monitoring of project activities
• Actively participate in survey activities as liaison to data collection teams
• Handle the electronic data capture system for WASH interventions process monitoring and observational and outcome data at the field level;
• Liaise with government agencies, collaborators and community stakeholders in Mozambique and document all relevant meetings and decisions
• Support cleaning and analysis of data using statistical applications (SPSS, STATA, Epi-Info)
• Assist in identifying, documenting, disseminating best practices in the project;
• Ensure the implementation of activities, as planned;