Field of activity
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area – GIZ International Services – is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services has been invited to submit a proposal for the EU funded project “EU for Climate in the ENI Southern Neighbourhood”, based in the MENA Region.
The overall objective of the programme “Energy security and Climate action in the Southern Neighbourhood 2017-2018”, which has been adopted by the European Commission in 2017 and of which this contract will be part, is to enhance energy security and adaptive capacity of partner countries while fostering their transition to low carbon and climate-resilient economy, thereby contributing to more stable, efficient, competitive and climate-resilient socioeconomic contexts.
The purpose of this contract is as follows: The transition of Southern Neighbourhood countries towards sustainable, low-carbon and climate resilient development is boosted by the formulation and implementation of climate actions (mitigation and adaptation) and of sustainable energy policies, with a focus on energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy, both at national and local level.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master degree or equivalent diploma in climate, energy, environmental sciences, economics and/or management, or a relevant, directly related discipline;
- Excellent knowledge of French and English (C2 level) both oral and written. Good working knowledge of Arabic (B2 level) is an asset;
General professional experience:
- At least 10 years of professional experience in an international development context;
- At least 5 years of experience in leading international cooperation project teams. Experience in leading a EU cooperation project team is an asset.
Specific professional experience:
- Very good knowledge of climate change and sustainable development policies;
- Very good understanding of the economic, political and social situation of Southern neighbourhood’s partner countries;
- Demonstrated familiarity to work with local authorities including at decision-making level and develop effective working partnerships with them, in particular in an international dimension.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience on climate change issues or related international energy/environmental policy issues. Experience in managing and/or advising climate change adaptation, mitigation and/or climate finance projects is a strong asset;
- Experience in the formulating and/or implementing low carbon development/climate resilient strategies (including NDCs implementation) in developing countries. Experience in the ENI Southern neighbourhood is an asset.
The intended start date is May 2018 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 48 months from this date.
The project will have two offices, one in the Maghreb and one in the Mashreq region.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 14.01.2018.
+ 49(0) 6196 79- 3191