Play a vital role in community mobilisation as well as access to safe water and sanitation for the target population.
Part of the Emergency Response Team (ERT). The ‘Complete WASH’ programme would represent a comprehensive response covering health facilities, schools, and villages. ‘Complete WASH’ would instigate a wave of change in the WASH facilities and practices for remote communities reached by the programme, reducing morbidity and mortality. Each intervention, implemented over the course of nine months, would reach one health facility, two schools, and five villages. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Be responsible for the implementation and support of the WASH project(s) in line with the activity plan and time frame of project proposal(s) and any applicable national and international guidelines.
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructure, ensuring maintenance and sustainability.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted with reports being made.
- Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation of the infrastructure WASH programme.
- Help integrate beneficiary participation into the existing project(s) framework: comities, random selection of casual labourer for interview and help develop new ways of integrating.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g. monthly, quarterly and final reports) as requested by field managers, HQ and donors.
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Manage and oversee recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Hold monthly team meetings with the teams, review objectives, inform them of issues relevant to their work and provide feedback and ensure they receive coaching and training.
- Promote the health and security of the team(s) by providing support to the WIA in developing security guidelines in the workplace and ensuring healthy living conditions and practices are being followed.
- On occasions work with casual labour or other Medair staff (including hiring, co-ordinating workload and payment) to achieve specific, time-bound tasks.
- Plan, construct and manage budgets for the assigned project(s).
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned team(s).
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular and supportive communication structures with team(s) and stakeholders.
- Represent Medair at local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies, etc.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering and replacement of all necessary Infrastructure and WASH supplies and equipment.
- Develop project(s) specific handling of field depot in order to better track movement of goods.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international (e.g. Sphere and HAP) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Leadership and project management skills. Able to set clear objectives, enforce procedures, delegate.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with the team, beneficiaries and other agencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building and being a good communicator.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Good report writing skills and problem solving ability.
- Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.