Join the SEI Latin America Centre and be part of the launch of the Institute’s formal presence in this dynamic region. For many years, SEI staff from around the world have managed project engagements in Latin America working in thematic areas as diverse as air quality, environmental governance, trade in agricultural commodities, energy systems, and water management and sanitation.
Now with the full commitment of its Board of Directors, SEI has decided to establish a permanent base in Latin America by opening an office in Bogotá, Colombia. We are looking to build a team of talented and committed environmental and development professionals to contribute to this launch.
We are recruiting a Research Fellow to work on projects related to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and other elements of the United Nations Agenda 2030. Given the key role that Colombia played in the conception, formulation and approval of the SDGs, the opportunity to pursue this work in Latin America from a base in SEI’s new office in Bogotá is extremely compelling. If you agree, this opportunity might be for you!
Your main responsibilities
- Serve as the main Latin America point of contact to the SDG Implementation Team based out of the SEI Stockholm Center;
- Provide the Latin American perspective within the SDG Implementation Team in Stockholm as part of the development of new internal research initiatives and external proposals;
- Implement assigned tasks within internal research initiatives and externally funded projects related to the implementation of the SDGs, in Latin America primarily but potentially in other regions of the world where SEI works;
- Develop and implement programmatic activity related to applying the SDG framework to guide decision making and investment related to the post-conflict transition in Colombia;
- Supervise and inspire other, less senior staff, within the SEI-Latin America Centre working on internal research initiatives and externally funded projects related to the implementation of the SDGs in Latin America; and
- Contribute consistently to a culture of innovation, collegiality, and productivity within the SEI Latin America Centre.
Who you are
We are looking for a colleague who has a broad understanding of the United Nations Agenda 2030, in particular the Sustainable Development Goals. This understanding can be associated either with academic work carried out on the topic or with direct participation in the formulation and implementation of the SDGs.
We expect that this understanding will include knowledge of both the political dimension of implementing this international agenda and the technical challenges of investing in and monitoring progress towards the achievement of the SDGs. Having developed this understanding, we expect that you will maintain a high level of commitment to and enthusiasm for the SDGs.
Besides the qualifications mentioned above, you will need to:
- have a passion for pursing a vision for a more sustainable future for our planet;
- possess at least a Master’s Degree in Political Science, Development Studies, International Relations, Economics, Geography, or a related field, or a Bachelor’s Degree in one of these fields if complemented by substantial professional experience related to the SDGs;
- have contributed to past efforts to formulate, fund and implement research projects;
- be proficient in carrying out basic quantitative analysis using tools such as Excel; and
- speak and write both Spanish and English with a high level of professional competency.
How to apply
We expect to interview and hire staff in the new SEI Latin America Centre beginning in February 2018, so please submit your application no later than 21 January 2018. As we only accept applications through our system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience;
- Curriculum vitae.