Join the SEI Latin America Centre and be part of the launch of the Institute’s formal presence in this dynamic region. For many years, SEI staff from around the world have managed project engagements in Latin America working in thematic areas as diverse as air quality, environmental governance, trade in agricultural commodities, energy systems, and water management and sanitation.
Now with the full commitment of its Board of Directors, SEI has decided to establish a permanent base in Latin America by opening an office in Bogotá, Colombia. We are looking to build a team of talented and committed environmental and development professionals to contribute to this launch.
We are recruiting a Research Fellow to work on projects related to water resource planning and management in the Andean Region. Given the regional water management challenges posed by climate change, urbanization, economic development, and a growing commitment to environmental quality and participatory planning, the Andean Region offers an exciting venue for professional engagement. If you agree, this opportunity might be for you!
Your main responsibilities
- Serve as the main Latin America point of contact to the water teams based out of SEI centers in Stockholm and the United States;
- Provide the Latin American perspective within the water teams in Stockholm and the United States as part of the development of new internal research initiatives and external proposals;
- Implement assigned tasks within internal research initiatives and externally funded projects related to innovations in water resources planning and management, in Latin America primarily but potentially in other regions of the world where SEI works;
- Supervise and inspire other, less senior staff, within the SEI Latin America Centre working on internal research initiatives and externally funded projects related to water resources management in Latin America; and
- Contribute consistently to a culture of innovation, collegiality, and productivity within the SEI Latin America Centre.
Who you are
We are looking for a colleague who has a broad understanding of the technical, economic, ecological and social dimensions of water resources planning and management. This understanding can be associated either with academic work carried out on the topic or with direct participation in the formulation and implementation water resources management plans.
We expect that this understanding will include knowledge of both the scientific and technical aspects of water management, but also experience working within the inherently social and political context that shape decision-making around water. Having developed this understanding, we expect that you will maintain a high level of commitment to and enthusiasm for innovation in the field of water management.
Besides the qualifications mentioned above, you will need to:
- have a passion for pursing a vision for a more sustainable future for our planet;
- possess at least a Master’s Degree in appropriate fields in the Physical and/or Biological Sciences, Engineering, Economics, Geography, or a related field, or a Bachelor’s Degree in one of these fields if complemented by substantial professional experience related to water resources management;
- have contributed to past efforts to formulate, fund and implement research projects;
- be proficient in the application of computer modeling tools the challenges associated with water resources management, past experience with SEI’s signature water modeling tool WEAP (the Water Evaluation and Planning system) being highly desirable; and
- speak and write both Spanish and English with a high level of professional competency.
How to apply
We expect to interview and hire staff for the new SEI Latin America Centre beginning in February 2018, so please submit your application no later than 21 January 2018. As we only accept applications through our system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience;
- Curriculum vitae.