Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
The Somalia Country Office is currently recruiting for the HECA Drought Response a
Fulltime/ 40 hours a week
Start date as soon as possible
until 01.August 2018
Roving in field bases (80%) and Hargeisa (20%)
Purpose of the position
To coordinate Oxfam’s WASH drought response programme in Somalia and Puntland. Starting as soon as possible.
WASH Leadership and Representation
- Overall operational lead for the implementation of the WaSH component of the humanitarian response
- Develop, budget and operationalise both standard and innovative approaches to water and sanitation access, access to knowledge and inputs, adoption of safe hygienic practices
- Write proposals for various donors using achievable and realistic indicators and logical frameworks for both short and long-term WASH programmes within the complex context of Somalia
- Together with programme managers, ensure that WaSH project activities are planned and implemented on time, in line with contractual obligations and with accountability to beneficiaries
- Ensure timely and adequate coordination and mutual flow of information within the department and between the WaSH and other departments
- Ensure regular monitoring and reporting by Oxfam teams and partners.
- Ensure appropriate design, construction and implementation of WaSH hardware in accordance with technical standards (SPHERE, Oxfam WASH Minimum standards)
- Work closely with implementing partners, building human and physical capacity
- Work closely with the wider humanitarian community and government counterparts to further effective programme development and implementation
- Identify and pursue new and innovative partnerships with vocational and higher education providers, the private sector, international networks.
- Undertake and lead assessments as required in the context
- Advise on the need for assessments and participation in initial assessment missions
- Comment and advise on assessment reports from the field in order to appraise emergency situations and make new recommendations for Oxfam which are consistent with Oxfam policy
- Select, design and implement the most appropriate form of water and sanitation response and systems, in consultation with the beneficiaries,
- Promote the inclusion of cross cutting issues within programming, including HIV/AIDS, malaria, gender, protection and community participation.
- Advise on appropriateness and feasibility of programmes, and Oxfam’s capacity to implement
- Be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, SPHERE, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g., InterAction Field Co-operation Protocol).
Human Resources and Capacity Building
- Recruitment, briefing and development of WASH staff
- Manage the deployment of recruited WASH staff within the programme areas.
- Identify and support /mentor a suitable candidate to hand over too to continue this role.
- Develop a training plan in collaboration with country programme and partners
- Monitor the effectiveness and impact of the training programmes
- Ensure that all programmes take gender issues fully into account. This includes the introduction of mechanisms to enable women to participate in decision making around public health engineering issues.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Advise on monitoring and evaluation of programmes in the field in collaboration with the MEAL Officer
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation of field based programmes to a high quality and precision standard
Partnership management and capacity building
- Work with local NGO partners in term of planning, implementation and monitoring
- Lead partner technical meeting to follow up on the implementation plan and address issues for programme improvement
- Identify capacity gaps and conduct relevant trainings to partner staff
- Provide technical guideline for partner implementation
- Review partner budget, budget monitoring and following up
- You have a Bachelors/Masters degree in in a related discipline
- 5 yrs + experience in emergency WASH programming. This includes large scale up (sudden onset) programme design;
- Proven experience of coordinating water, sanitation and hygiene programmes;
- Most importantly, substantial experience in developing countries in appropriate water supplies, sanitation and hygiene promotion. It is desirable that some of this should have been in emergency relief programmes. The post holder should have a good understanding of the public health needs of poor rural and urban communities and of appropriate ways of addressing them. The post holder must be aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of women in this context;
- Experience of Arid and semi arid environments, drought and chronic, slow onset humanitarian emergencies is highly desirable;
- Proven ability to plan and implement training and capacity building of staff;
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations;
- The ability to contribute to donor proposals and reports with accurate technical detail;
- Diplomacy and tact to work with people at managerial and, on occasions, senior government levels. The post holder should also be at ease in working with local people;
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations;
- Ability and willingness to work in a remote location with limited social life or even lack of food diversity;
- Good written and spoken English is essential Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Oxfam;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies. Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into water and sanitation programmes;
- Ability to lead on technical issues and representation WASH issues both externally and internally.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between € 2962,– to € 4557,– gross based on 40 hours a week.
Please submit your application via the ‘apply’ button and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by January 3, 2018 at the latest. Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.