The Water Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator (WASH Co) is primarily responsible for the implementation of WASH programs which reach conflict affected people every month with the life-saving provision of clean water, sanitation and related services. The WASH Co will lead on the technical design of projects and their management at every stage of the project cycle. Adapting to the challenge of a remote management set up, the office holder will establish a long term strategic and operational support relationship to support the future fundraising and program direction. The WASH Co will coordinate with UN agencies, and other NGOs to ensure that SCA programs are in line with agreed sector strategies.
Main responsibilities and tasks
To lead on the design of high quality WASH programs aimed at providing life-saving services to highly vulnerable Syrian host and IDP populations.
To ensure the implementation of work plans ensuring projects are delivered on target, on time and on budget. Lead on the development of work plans and other programs management tools, and contribute to SCA budget management process.
To directly manage SCA Syria Program WASH team on technical aspects of their work, provide mentorship to staff and leadership to the department, ensuring the capacity development needs of staff are identified and actioned.
To contribute to the compilation of donor proposals and reports in conjunction with the grants team, ensuring appropriate resource allocation as required for the successful implementation of program objectives and compliance to all relevant donor requirements.
To promote community participation and ownership through liaising with the beneficiary communities; to establish, train and support water user/sanitation committees and ensure that activities are as transparent and inclusive as possible.
To support the monitoring and evaluation of SCA WASH programs and the utilization of data for evidence based program design.
To review and comment on contract documentation including drawings, specifications and bills of quantities and support the WASH team in developing these.
To contribute to WASH and Health cluster meetings to engage with stakeholders in a constructive manner which is indicative of SCA leadership in northern Syria.
To represent SCA at meeting with donors and liaise with other organizations engaged in similar activities in Syria, including relevant government authorities, UN and other NGOs.
To ensure all WASH programs and staff adhere to SCA policies and procedures.
To carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by Program Manager.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Minimum of bachelor’s degree in water and sanitation engineering, civil engineering, or relevant technical WASH specialization
· At least three years of work experience with designing and implementing water and sanitation systems in IDPs, refugee and migrant contexts, maintaining sanitation systems, and implementing hygiene promotion programs, including 4 years in a humanitarian setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Ability and good understanding of WASH sector and its hardware and software components;
· Demonstrated analytical, motivational, communication, project conceptualization and planning skills;
· Experience in developing WASH strategy, clear and realistic activity planning; overseeing implementation, tracking the progress, reporting against the agreed indicators and managing project budget
· Experience in emergency response, including rapid assessments and the design and delivery of effective water supply and hygiene promotion interventions in humanitarian contexts.
· Experience and understanding of key intuitional donors’ policies, guidelines and strategies.
· Demonstrated experience in WASH proposal development and preparation of internal and donor reports.
· Ability to effectively present information (both written and verbally) and respond appropriately to questions from senior managers in the field and HQ, counterparts, senior government.
· Demonstrated knowledge of linking WASH activities with other humanitarian sectors.
· Ability to understand gender related challenges within the beneficiary groups
· Demonstrated experience of working closely with support functions (finance and logistics) on activity and procurement planning.
· Excellent verbal and written skills in English; Turkish is desirable.
Applications should include a detailed CV, a cover letter and should be submitted in English with the subject title ” WASH Coordinator’’ to the following email address, respectively: