We require a Principal Environmental Consultant to join our Hydrology and Water Environment team, part of the WSP UK Environment Division, based in Glasgow.
This interesting and challenging role will involve leading project teams, coordinating deliverables with other disciplines and contributing to successful delivery.
Working as part of the multi-disciplinary Environmental team and based in Glasgow, you shall be involved in providing leadership of projects, including technical, financial and quality elements, plus involvement in business development relating to soil and water environment issues. This role is primarily a technical delivery position servicing the onshore energy and highway sectors in the UK, with potential opportunities to operate in other sectors and international projects.
You shall be joining a Division employing close to 1,000 environmental specialists, offering a comprehensive range of services to transport agencies, local authorities, utilities and developers including site surveys and investigation, stakeholder liaison, design, EIA reports, planning application and construction management support.
A typical week may include:
- Managing the technical excellence of teams by managing quality in outputs
- Health and safety awareness and proactive approach to safe working.
- Providing water environment advice to internal teams and client organisations to meet regulatory requirements and raising the profile of the WSP Environment business.
- Help develop efficient working practices to provide industry-leading, best-value services to our clients and ensuring strong client feedback.
- Project management of projects for internal and external clients, plus providing support to team leader and other project managers in all aspects of project and proposal delivery.
Note that the primary duties of this role do not include detailed flood risk assessment or associated flood modelling tasks.
We’d love to hear from you if have:
- BSc in a water / environmental management related discipline, preferably having a relevant post-graduate qualification, ideally holding chartered status of a relevant professional body, such as IEMA or CIWEM
- Environmental consultancy experience regarding water quality issues, with extensive EIA experience in the highway and energy sectors particularly sought
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant environmental, water and highways-specific UK and Scottish legislation plus good practice guidance
- Working knowledge of the EIA regulations and/or the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges in relation to the water environment alongside up to date knowledge of related UK environmental legislation and best practice guidance
- Experience of working on various scales of projects and taking responsibility for technical delivery of a small team
- Project management experience in environmental project delivery, demonstrating successful outputs and financial control
- Astute commercial awareness, with understanding of contractual risks, variation management and communicating this clearly to clients
- Track record providing technical input and coordination on key issues, which may include highway drainage design, outfall discharges, CAR licencing, sustainable drainage systems, EIA delivery, hydrogeology, hydrology, geomorphology, hydrometrics, water quality, site environmental management and pollution prevention
- You will have undertaken fieldwork, data analysis and report-writing skills relevant to the water environment discipline and be able to provide evidence of this track record
- You will be familiar and confident with a variety of software packages and ideally a competent user of GIS software for planning, analysing and reporting environmental deliverables
- You will be flexible with regard to working away from Glasgow base on a regular basis (including overnights), familiar with safe working practices in remote outdoor locations and be capable of undertaking fieldwork requiring a reasonable level of fitness
- You will hold a full UK driving licence.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world’s leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,000 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 36,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.