Centre Director (Stockholm Centre)
Start date: Q4, 2016
Duty station: Stockholm, Sweden
Application deadline: 21 August 2016
Contract type: Permanent contract
Open to: Both external and internal candidates
As Centre Director at SEI Stockholm you have a genuine interest in leadership and an incentive to develop and improve the organization. You work together with the management team to develop the institute and report to the SEI Executive Director.
The Centre Director of SEI Stockholm provides Centre leadership and initiates and leads the planning and implementation of all organizational, management and employee-related issues, consistent with and in support of SEI's philosophy, mission, strategy, and goals. The Centre Director leads and supports Unit heads and monitors their professional progress and development on a regular basis.
SEI’s mission is to bridge science and policy and the Centre Director is responsible for the availability of necessary research, management and administrative competences at the centre. This also includes securing the availability of relevant professional competence at the Centre through recruitment and capacity building.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsibility for the financial sustainability and administrative efficiency of the Centre;
- Initiate and lead the planning and implementation of all organizational, management and employee related issues at the Centre, consistent with and in support of SEI's, strategy and goals;
- Oversee the development, design, implementation and quality control of activities and services provided by the centre, including timely response to clients’ and relevant stakeholders’ needs and SEI’s policies and priorities;
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including identification of resource requirements and funding sources, development of partner-specific strategies, contributing to proposals, and provision of support to other SEI employees involved in fundraising;
- Ensure effective internal and external communication together with the SEI Communication team;
- Build and nurture contacts and relationships with partners and clients;
- Attend and participate in seminars, meetings and conferences to promote and strengthen SEI and the centre’s network;
- Facilitate contacts between centre employees and clients/partners;
- Promote, support and direct frequent interaction with policy and decision makers;
- Participate as a part of SEI’s international management function and ensure optimal collaboration between the SEI Stockholm centre, headquarters and the other SEI centres;
- Active member in the Management Team of SEI with the centre directors of other SEI centres;
- Collaborate with the SEI Research Directorat on centre-specific issues and cross-centre proposals, projects, activities and agreements; and
- Prepare and present annual centre reports to the SEI Board.
- Outstanding leadership, management, organizational, communication, interpersonal, cross-cultural and networking skills, including a minimum of ten years of experience in a knowledge-based organization;
- At least 10 years of leadership experience including managing people;
- Solid experience and understanding from a knowledge-based research organization including a Ph.D. or equivalent in an area relevant to SEI;
- Strong international reputation with active engagement in scientific and professional networks in at least one area of research central to SEI’s strategy;
- Experience of and proven success in strategic fund raising;
- Experience in international research related to policy, governance and sustainable development;
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills. Other language skills are a merit.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online using the Apply now button below. The application requires a cover letter (maximum 1 page) and a CV that includes the names and contact details of three referees. Applications must be written in English and arrive at SEI as soon as possible but no later than 21 August 2016.