The Manager’s main accountabilities will be to provide overall leadership in the design and implementation of Urban WASH programmes in the region. The position holder will be responsible and accountable for the delivery, quality assurance and management of risks related to delivery of the programme including compliance with Practical Action, donor and government policies, guidelines and standards. She/he will also line manage the technical personnel in the Urban WASH Programme.
Strategic Alignment 10%
- Contribute to the development of Practical Action’s regional strategic plans to work with poor and marginalised people to increase their access to information and services and to build their capacity to improve their lives.
- Contribute to specific strategic plans for Practical Action’s Urban WASH programs ensuring that the plans conform to Practical Action Eastern Africa’s strategic direction, policy and implementation strategies.
- Ensure cross-thematic synergies are maximised, and that technical support and collaborative opportunities are used to improve project delivery and performance.
- Ensure that innovations, technologies and new areas of developing availability of clean water, reliable sanitation, and waste management services are identified and investigated for development and transfer to users at both policy and practice levels and ensure that Practical Action remains on the cutting edge.
Fundraising and Resources Mobilisation 30%.
- Lay out clear strategies for timely donor intelligence, map out and develop/nurture relationships with potential donors and other key stakeholders/partners to work with.
- Proactively develop ideas, concepts and project proposals with Urban WASH staff for fundraising activities as well as market them to relevant donors
- Manage, communicate and report to donors on a timely basis ensuring compliance with donor contracts and partners agreements.
Programme Management and Quality 30%
- Lead and coordinate the implementation of specific Urban Wash projects through planning, development, implementation and evaluation and ensure that findings guide the continued successful implementation of projects and inform the development of further initiatives
- In collaboration with the M&E team and guided by the quality benchmarks, develop measureable project goals, objectives and expected results for practical action beneficiaries.
- In collaboration with the knowledge management team, ensure documentation of programme learning and sharing with all stakeholders both internally and externally
Financial Management and Administration 20%
- Ensure the timely and accurate preparation of project and internal budgets, and their submission to donors and Finance department
- Ensure the effective and timely monitoring of project expenditure against approved budgets. Using the monthly budget holder reports, ensure timely corrective action on under or over spends.
Staff and Personnel Functions 10%
- Line manage and build a high performing WASH team that has clear objectives, metrics, is continuously developed and rewarded both as individuals and as a team.
- Ensure staff development and performance is addressed by ensuring that adequate and up-to-date job descriptions exist for all positions; staff performance appraisals conducted, individual staff/team development training plans are subsequently implemented.
- Advise the Regional Director & Human Resources on emerging staffing and programme specific issues and risks in a timely manner.
Qualifications and relevant job experience
- A Master’s Degree and first degree in WASH relevant field (Engineering, Public Health, Geology, etc)
- At least seven (7) years’ work experience in development or a relevant technical field, and minimum of three to five years of senior management experience in a non-profit organization. Experience of delivering innovative water, sanitation, hygiene & waste management within the NGO or private sector is highly desirable
- Good knowledge and understanding of development issues affecting the availability of clean water, reliable sanitation and waste management in Kenya and the region.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Excellent writing skills and proven track record of writing successful funding proposals
- Strong computer skills in word-processing, spread sheets and email/internet
- Good management and leadership skills for developing high performance teams
- Ability to effectively track and monitor staff performance