As Director of Program Operations, you’ll use your deep expertise and extensive field experience to ensure that our rural water supply programs achieve maximum impact. You’ll identify, vet and manage a portfolio of implementing partners who deliver high quality, sustainable clean water and sanitation services to our beneficiaries. You’ll design our program strategy, and you’ll manage our programs teams. You’ll lead our monitoring and evaluation efforts that document program performance.
- You’ll lead the Water Programs team and our programs portfolio, currently made up of 12 staff, 13 partner organizations and $47M of active grants.
- You’ll ensure high quality program implementation, including participating in design and development of programs and country strategies, conducting needs assessments, identifying potential partners and programs, validating and providing feedback on partner proposals, and monitoring and evaluating grantee performance.
- You’ll play a pivotal role in shaping the overall strategic direction for charity: water’s programs, in collaboration with the Chief Global Water Officer and program’s leadership.
- You’ll develop and manage performance measures and proactively communicate and resolve performance issues with partners. Coordinate and conduct regular field trips to assess of partners and programs. Drive program planning with senior decision-makers at partner organizations.
- You’ll contribute to the continued development of charity: water resources and policies.
- You’ll work with our Key Relationships and Brand Partnerships teams to respond to donor opportunities through program design and donor reporting. Partner with other teams across charity: water to ensure integrated alignment occurs with Finance, Production, Creative and Tech.
- You’ll hire, fire, train, counsel, evaluate, and recommend promotions for those under direct supervision. Promote staff development via training, workshops and coaching.
- You’ll maintain up-to-date knowledge base of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector, which includes literature review, attending conference and meetings and communicating with peers in the field. Participate in sector specific events/conferences. Understand broader trends in the NGO community in the areas related to job responsibility
- You’ll be New York based. 25-30% expected travel.
- 5-7 years field experience designing and managing WASH programs in developing world contexts, with a particular expertise on rural water supply.
- Strong background required in grants management, program development and evaluation.
- Experience building systems and processes to create a highly productive, efficient ream.
You are a leader
You are skilled at accomplishing things through other people. You can run multiple work streams that extend far beyond your immediate team. You can provide leadership for peers, subordinates and partners.
You’re a strategic thinker
You have the ability to apply conceptual strategy, brainstorm facilitation, and day-to-day directing of projects through completion. You find new and efficient ways to streamline processes and create innovative approaches to difficult problems. You love to identify people’s strengths and build processes to make things run more smoothly.
You have a proven track record of experience, where it matters
You have more than five years of direct experience in project management in the developing world. The water and sanitation sector is nothing new to you.
You’re a communication ace
You take your role seriously, knowing that someone’s experience with charity: water can start — or end– with you. Clear, consistent, and compelling communication is everything to you. You’re passionate about giving every person who interacts with the charity: water brand across all channels an unforgettable experience.
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to re-locate to) the NYC area only.