Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change and deforestation, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager will report to the Director of Investor Engagement on the Water team and play a key role in supporting Ceres’ Investor Water Hub, a working group of over 90 global institutional investors with over $19 trillion collective assets under management. Members include state treasurers, pension funds, foundations, large asset managers, socially responsible asset managers, and religious institutional investors, among others.
This Manager will work on a small team to encourage investors to be more water aware and to more actively integrate the consideration of water into investment and portfolio management processes. This position will help manage and service the needs of the 90 investors in the Water Hub including running an internal networking and research portal, setting up regular conference call meetings and special events, onboarding new members, and integrating relationship management with Ceres Investor Network team.
The Manager will also support improving internal team systems, be responsible for internal reporting to other Ceres departments, and tracking internal key performance indicators on advocacy goals. The position will include developing key elements of ongoing investor and water research projects as part of a research team. And contribute to media and communications projects related to the topic of investors, water and sustainability.
Primary responsibilities may include, but are not limited to;
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with institutional investors in the Investor Water Hub, as well as help recruit new members to Ceres’ Investor Network. This includes on-boarding new members, setting up conference calls and meetings, managing a listserv, conducting email outreach, etc.
- Help maintain and strengthen relationships with other key stakeholders such as NGOs, academics, and consultants
- Manage the Investor Water Hub Educational Speaker Series Forum
- Organize and execute internal/external meetings, webinars and workshops
- Support production of materials for high-level meetings and workshops, e.g. proof reading, mocking up graphics, and drafting text
- Drive improvements in existing internal reporting and external networking systems (e.g. funder reporting, networking platforms, relationship management)
- Establish and run an internal KPI system to track how the team is meeting advocacy goals
- Support media and communications projects for the Investor Water Hub
- Manage key research activities and projects, be responsible for producing discrete research projects with support of rest of the team
- Be part of team decision-making on strategic direction of Ceres Investor water work
- Help coordinate and partner with the Ceres Water Program across all of its initiatives including agriculture, sustainable infrastructure and California water policy. Support other non-water Ceres teams and in particular the Investor, Capital Markets Systems, Company Network and Food teams.
- Strengthen and support Ceres larger Investor Network
- Bachelor degree required.
- Master degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience on sustainability or socially responsible investing in the investment or non-profit sectors.
- Strong working knowledge of the environmental and social issues faced by investors.
- Financial services sector experience (either working in or engaging with) and/or in-depth understanding preferred.
- Strong project management skills, including an ability to manage multiple, complex projects that often have competing deadlines, and to deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Excellent attention to detail is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrable initiative and willingness to take on projects that support the success of the team and Ceres.
- Successful record of organizing and executing complex projects
- Experience working with investors preferred
- Solid research and writing experience
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced rapidly evolving environment
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Familiarity with Salesforce, a plus.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org
. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to have a diverse workforce. Ceres will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.