E3G is looking for an experienced practitioner to support and develop the E3G Berlin Team and to deliver on our European projects and objectives.
E3G is a leading environmental think tank with offices in London, Brussels, Berlin and Washington D.C. E3G is working globally to accelerate the transition to a clean, resilient economy and was ranked the 5th most influential environmental think tank by the University of Pennsylvania’s Global Go To think Tank Index in 2016. Since its foundation in 2004, E3G has been committed to help strengthen Europe’s pioneering role in promoting a low-carbon transition. To this end we produce political analysis and design strategies and build coalitions to achieve political objectives.
We seek a Senior Policy Adviser in our Berlin Office team to support our advocacy work in Germany and manage and expand our growing project work. Core tasks (75%) of the job holder will be to produce analysis and engage in advocacy on a range of E3G programmes such as EU climate & energy policy, Fossil Fuels Transition, Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), and sustainable finance – depending on the candidate’s previous experience. He or she will also co-develop and co-deliver a work programme around the ‘Just Transition’ to a low-carbon economy in Europe. Another part of the job profile (25%) will be to manage different aspects of the E3G team’s cooperation across offices and programmes, support our collective programme development efforts, and represent E3G in multi-stakeholder coalitions.
- Write and deliver analytical reports and policy briefings on chosen climate & energy issues in the EU, and press releases.
- Support the successful delivery of projects all the way through the project cycle.
- Represent E3G in stakeholder coalitions and meetings with senior officials in Germany and elsewhere in the EU.
- Help lead and manage multi-stakeholder coalitions: building and maintaining E3G relationships and networks with key political, business and civil society coalitions; including strategic relationships with a small number of partners.
- Communicate and disseminate E3G’s work, including to decision-makers, policy experts, and European media.
- Offer support on project work within the wider E3G team and contribute to the wider development of E3G as an organisation.
You are an intellectually curious and highly motivated self-starter with a strong political understanding and a strong interest in the opportunities and challenges around developing a low-carbon economy in Europe and beyond. You are a creative thinker, able to learn fast and to work flexibly with a range of people. You are prepared to go the extra mile to deliver high quality outputs to challenging deadlines. You are comfortable with complex research and advocacy projects and managing ad hoc collaboration. The work you will undertake will make full use of your analytical, research and communication skills. You will be able to identify and engage with a range of external stakeholders to effectively communicate your ideas and findings to a varied audience. You are entrepreneurially minded and have a passion for identifying opportunities, developing strategies around them and seeing projects through till the end.
The Senior Policy Adviser must:
- Have a post-graduate degree and 5 years+ of relevant professional experience with progressive levels of responsibilities and a track record of significant achievements in an energy, environment or climate related field;
- Demonstrate strong strategic and political understanding of the challenges of the low-carbon transition in Europe;
- Have strong writing skills, demonstrated by a track record of successful academic or journalistic publications in English;
- Have excellent written and spoken English and German skills (C2-level);
- Demonstrate a track-record of leading and managing stakeholder partnerships;
- Be a strong team player, committed to achieving E3G’s objectives and capable of inspiring and facilitating action by others;
- Be confident operating in an international context and influencing senior decision-makers from government, business, finance and civil society;
- Have strong organisational and operational skills.
Terms & requirements:
- This is a full-time position.
- Remuneration competitive with public service salary at comparable experience level.
- The job holder will be based in E3G’s Berlin office.
- Start date is as soon as possible.
- The position will require frequent business trips within Europe.
- Interested candidates should submit a current CV, a cover letter explaining their interest in the position, as well as two writing samples in English to Dr. Sabrina Schulz ([email protected]).
- Deadline for applications is 12 January 2018.