IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In FY17, we delivered a record $19.3 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to help end poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Energy & Water (E&W) unit is a part of IFC’s Cross-Industry Advisory Solutions Department, which supports clients in accessing reliable, cost-effective energy supply, addresses resource availability risk, and manages production more efficiently to minimize losses and costs. The team provides advisory service on issue ranging from power generation, transmission and distribution, to off-grid energy access, and resource efficiency (including energy, water, and raw materials).
IFC is seeking an Energy and Water Associate/Operations Officer or to spearhead quality control, support the implementation of programs, including monitoring and evaluation, and knowledge management. The candidate will also support strategy developing, donor fundraising, sector level work, etc. The position will be based in one of the following locations; Johannesburg, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya or Dakar, Senegal.
Duties and Accountabilities
• Provide quality control as projects are designed, developed and implemented.
• Actively participate in and support the process of scoping, and designing new regional level activities.
• Actively participate in the implementation and oversight of certain E&W projects, programs and engagements.
• Develop and review project proposals, donor reports and project supervision reports;
• Liaise with donors and the private sector to identify and mobilize additional sources of funding for E&W activities.
• Working with regional and thematic leads, support market/sector scoping efforts across regions in priority countries in order to identify, assess and make recommendations on viable regional, sector and client level opportunities.
• Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) officers and E&W teams to develop indicators and tools that collect the necessary data for evaluating the impact of the projects to ensure that firm and sector level results are properly captured.
• Coordinate the capturing and management of the knowledge derived and lessons learned from the projects of E&W.
• Prepare terms of reference and lead consultant procurement process to support delivery of sector level initiatives, when appropriate.
• Facilitate necessary onboarding and support capacity building activities for new E&W staff.
• Ensure close and effective collaboration with other IFC departments and across the WBG.
• Actively contribute to the knowledge management agenda of E&W.
• Other duties and accountabilities may be added as needed.
The candidate should be a determined and persevering “go-getter”, with a positive attitude and should demonstrate dedication to excellence, patience for detail and the ability to translate detailed information into broad strategy and workplans and actions. The candidate should be able to work independently, multi-task in a high-pressure environment, deliver consistent results and take initiative, and be a strong team player. The candidate should be open-minded, able to work in a fast-paced and multicultural environment and used to exploring links between fields, disciplines and people in order to deliver results.
More specifically, the selection criteria will be:
• At least seven (7) years professional, relevant experience, preferably with experience in the private sector and/or consulting.
• MBA or Masters Degree in a relevant discipline.
• Familiarity with the design, preparation, implementation and monitoring (project cycle) of advisory projects;
• Strong research, analytical, organizational and communication skills. Working knowledge of internal policies and procedures at IFC and World Bank Group is a strong plus.
• Familiarity with resource efficiency, clean energy and climate change.
• Experience in designing and implementing private sector development technical assistance programs in emerging markets.
• Team player with organizational skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision;
• Ability to respond to situations of high demand and pressure in a timely manner;
• Good knowledge and understanding of business planning, work programming, and project management.
• Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Ability to work under pressure and flexibility in handling a variety of concurrent business support services.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; fluency in French is a plus.
This position would report to the E&W Regional Lead for SSA based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.