People, wildlife and businesses all rely on freshwater to survive and thrive. Yet our freshwater ecosystems are under increasing pressure. There is less to go around than ever before, and what’s left is getting dirtier as we fail to protect our rivers, lakes and streams. Given we all depend on freshwater, the global water crisis is important to all of us, including the private sector.
Water stewardship is about business understanding the risks they face from water scarcity and pollution, and taking action to help ensure water is managed sustainably as a shared resource.
You are passionate about sustainable development and have several years of relevant experience from working with fresh water governance and impact reduction in the public, private or NGO sector.
WWF offers a unique position as water stewardship advisor where you will be working with international companies leading the fresh water agenda. You will be part of our corporate engagement and fresh water teams in WWF Denmark and WWF Sweden, closely collaborating with experts in the global WWF network, and will be engaged in water stewardship projects in WWF’s priority places around the world, with an initial focus on Asia.
Your main responsibilities:
- Responsible for overall project implementation and development of existing and new corporate partnerships related to water stewardship.
- Project management, including monitoring and supervision of water stewardship engagement (initially in Asia), and budget oversight.
- Development of corporate water strategies together with our partners, and coordinate WWF’s involvement and technical and strategic support to the implementation of these strategies.
- Development of strategy for engaging further corporate partners on water stewardship, in close collaboration with the corporate engagement managers and WWF global freshwater and corporate engagement teams.
- Ongoing engagement with key stakeholders and maintaining partnership relations.
- Potentially represent WWF’s water stewardship work in external forums.
We expect that you have:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience with water governance and/or stewardship, water technology transfer, and/or experience with, and solid understanding of, corporate environmental and social responsibility. Experience with working in developing countries or Asian contexts is a plus.
- Relevant educational background, e.g. engineering, international development, business or public affairs.
- Strong project management skills, including ability to run several multi-stakeholder projects at a time without losing oversight.
- A collaborative and adaptive way of working, good strategic sense, quick learner. Ability to successfully challenge senior partners whilst building strong relationships.
- Good communication skills.
- Passion for sustainable development, partnership-driven change, and the future of the planet
- A challenging and varied job in a dynamic and international environment. For example, the role will work with corporate partners based in Denmark and Sweden, with projects around the globe.
- Skillful and dedicated colleagues who are passionate to make a difference.
- An opportunity to engage directly with some of the world’s leading companies on water stewardship in their sectors.
- A position based in Copenhagen with an opportunity to work internationally.
- A chance to make a difference to sustainable development.
We are looking to fill the position as soon as possible. The duty station will be in the WWF Denmark office in Copenhagen, with frequent travel to Sweden and a minimum 6-8 weeks international travel per year.
If you have questions about the position, you are welcome to call Director of International program at WWF Denmark, Jacob Fjalland at +45 22 68 81 24.
Send your CV and a motivated application by January 8th, 2018 to [email protected]. Interviews are expected to take place in the second half of January.
World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is one of the world’s largest and most influential environmental organizations. We are working for a future where humans live in harmony with nature. We are a knowledge-based organization that collaborates solution-focused and constructive with all sectors of society.