The main objective of this consultancy assignment is to assess the overall achievement of the project and quality of implementation as well as the overall impact of the project on Tajik stakeholders. The consultant will work with Oxfam to document the project progress based on the outcomes with clearly indicative measurements and result-oriented methodology. To this purpose, it is expected:
- To assess level of establishment and regular functioning of the Water Trust Funds, Local Network of Stakeholders and Drinking Water User Associations in Ayni and Rudaki districts;
- To assess level of compliance of the constructed Water supply systems (serving at least 6,000 people) with the Tajik National standards;
- To assess the construction of sanitation facilities in schools and health centres in villages selected by the Water Trust Funds;
- To assess Civil Society based monitoring mechanism which is in place in Ayni and Rudaki districts;
- To assess enhanced awareness and capacity and take effective part in a constructive dialogue of the consumers, service providers and other stakeholders;
- To evaluate the relevance and consistency of the activities and outputs of the project with the overall goal, impact and the attainment of the objectives
- To measure the factors influencing the achievement or non-achievement of the objectives
- To evaluate the cost-efficiency, timeliness and skills of the project staff involved in the project
- To quantify and assess the project impact on beneficiaries
- To evaluate the project sustainability through social accountability lens
- To assess women participation in project’s activities/trainings;
Qualifications and Skills:
- · PhD degree, in areas of overseas development/humanitarian action/economics or social science. Master degree in these areas and extensive (more than 7 years) managerial experience in the relevant fields would compensate for the absence of PhD degree;
- · More than 10 years of experience in research and strategy/organisational development/project management and review;
- · Extensive experience of working with international organisations globally and specifically in complex environments in the field of social accountability, good governance, civil society engagement, public budgeting and institutional development
- · Excellent attention to detail and evidence of quality outputs from previous assignments;
- · Fluent English (Russian/Tajik is an asset);
- · Good qualitative and quantitative analytical skills;
- · Good reporting and presenting skills;
- · Punctuality and availability to complete the work on time;
- · Experience in social accountability in water sector is an asset;
Oxfam in Tajikistan has been granted a multi-year CoDWSS project contributing to the creation of an enabling environment for the sustainable provision of safe drinking water and sanitation in rural Tajikistan: women and men citizens are to be supported to uphold their rights to water, and duty-bearers are to be supported to fulfil this citizen need and be accountable for it. Benefiting about 7,000 children, women and men in rural areas in Ayni – a mountainous district with poor infrastructure conditions, and Rudaki – a central but largely neglected district, the project mobilizes community organizations for the water sectors, local stakeholders (authorities and social institutions) and civil society for greater ownership, responsibility and empowerment.
This TOR sets out responsibilities of the consultant to design and carry out project final evaluation in rural communities of Ayni and Rudaki districts in the Republic of Tajikistan.
CoWSS project description:
The project: 1) supports effective processes to manage water and sanitation systems assisting in establishment of Water Trust Funds, Drinking Water Users Associations and local networks of stakeholders, as well as help in the development of Water Safety Plans, 2) supports various above-mentioned stakeholders in constructing and managing water and sanitation systems in project target villages; and 3) ensures a civil society based monitoring mechanism is in place at district level so that consumers, operators and other stakeholders can hold a constructive dialogue over management in water consumption area.
About Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE) and FinWaterWEI II programme:
The Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE) conducts long-term monitoring of the state of
the environment and related trends. Using wide-ranging expertise together with
partners SYKE seek out the best solutions for building a sustainable society.
The overall objective of The Water Management Programme FinWaterWEI II, is to enhance water security in Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and the related region through equitable and integrated management of water resources. The Programme aims at reducing water-related risks by supporting the countries in managing their national and international water resources in a balanced, equitable and integrated manner. It promotes a rights-based approach to water use and water management. In the context of the water sector, the human rights-based approach to development can be defined not only as people’s right to clean water and sanitation but also as the capacity of the state institutions to provide the necessary services to its citizens.
The consultant will be responsible for identifying a relevant sampling methodology, drawing a sample, and training of enumerators, field testing of the questionnaire and administering the questionnaire in face-to-face interviews with key informants. The consultant will also perform data analysis based on the collected data. At the end of the analysis process a draft report will be shared with the CoDWSS project staff for their comments/feedback.
Based on the comments/suggestions received from the client, the draft report will be updated to incorporate suggestions. The final report will be submitted at the end of the assignment. Final report will include the following as minimum:
- Evaluation Methodology and detailed timeframe (inception report);
- Draft evaluation report, supported with annexes of quantitative/qualitative analysis:
- Relevance and Quality of project design and implementation
- Project Effectiveness
- Project Efficiency
- Project Sustainability
- Report on recommendations for future project follow-up
- Final evaluation report taking comments and reviews from Oxfam into account
- Annexes to the final evaluation report
We also put women at the heart of all we do. The majority of people living in poverty are women and girls, and so this focus helps us to achieve our mission to overcome poverty and suffering.