With funding from the EU-BMZ (Germany) Project: “Support to transboundary water cooperation in the Nile Basin”, the Nile-Sec intends to hire the service of a project staff (Regional Hydromet System Coordinator). The regional coordinator will be responsible for delivering the outcome and output indicators of the Nile Sec Implemented EU-BMZ (Germany) project on the regional Nile Basin hydromet system. The job description for this position is given as follows:
Job Description (highlights)
- Provide expertise and technical oversight to the start-up, implementation and operationalization of the regional Nile Basin Hydromet System.
- Develop a milestone plan that outlines the approach and implementation activities, the required coordination among NBI centers, NBI member countries, Lake Victoria Basin Commission and GIZ.
- Carry out national consultations and selected site visits for refining cost estimates of on-site works;
- Plan, organize and facilitate consultations with national stakeholders and the regional expert working group to ensure that the final hydromet system design specs meets the requirements of each NBI member country;
- Procure consultants and contractors for implementing the various aspects of the hydromet system;
- Oversee the installation and testing of the hydromet system ensuring that all components work together. Ensure that the national hydrological services agencies’ field and office staff are adequately conversant with the installation, testing, troubleshooting and operationalization of the system;
- Supervise the final testing and operational handing over of the hydromet system in each NBI country;
- Develop, consult and finalize the policy guidance on the governance, budgeting, operation and maintenance and data sharing of the system.
- Develop a monitoring system for country compliance to the agreed standards regarding (a) budgeting and O & M of the stations and (b) data exchange
- Plan, design and organize the preparation of communication products for keeping all relevant stakeholder abreast of the progress in the implementation of the hydromet system; issue the communication products regularly;
Academic/Professional Qualification: At least M.Sc (Ph.D. preferable) in water resources engineering, hydraulic engineering, hydrology, civil engineering (with specialization in hydrology or water resources) or closely related fields; Specialized training on hydro-meteorological monitoring systems design is a requirement;
Experience Required: At least 10 years of relevant experience (after MSc) in river basin management , water resources management; At least 8 years of experience (after MSc) with the design and implementation and management of hydro-meteorological systems; At least 5 years’ experience in delivering multi-country projects of similar nature and complexity to the Nile Basin hydromet system is required; Strong project management skills demonstrated through hands-on experience in coordination, implementation and management of complex water resources projects is required;
Duty Station: The Regional Coordinator will be based at NBI Secretariat in Entebbe Uganda with possible travel within or out of the Basin Countries as may be deemed necessary by the Employer.
Period of Service: The duration of the employment shall be 3 years (six months’ probation period) renewed annually based on satisfactory performance.
How to apply: Interested applicants are advised to submit applications electronically to the Executive Director through [email protected]. Application/cover letter indicating the title of the assignment accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director not later than 12:00 pm (Local Time in Entebbe, Uganda) 8th January, 2018. Please clearly indicate a minimum of three referees and two former employers excluding the current employer with their full contacts. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Complete ToRs for this position can be downloaded from here