Terms of Reference: Technical Manager – Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation
Organization: Adeso – African development solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Position Title: Consultancy: Technical Manager – Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation
Reporting To: Deputy Country Director
Working With: Program Teams in Somalia, Country Management Team and PDQU in Nairobi
Program/Duty Station: Garowe, Somalia with frequent travel to field sites
Duration: Six (6) Months
Starting Date: Immediately
Application Deadline: 25th December, 2017
Vacancy Contact: Please send applications to [email protected] – Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The project’s main objectives are to promote sustainable coastal habitat restoration and to alleviate poverty through date palms and mangrove as well as indigenous trees restoration, construction of fishing technology, solar powered irrigation systems for poor farmers, and to improve awareness among the communities of the importance of the coastal habitat, by focusing on effective solutions to address the development and ecological needs of communities necessary for climate change adaptation.
BACKGROUND FOR CONSULTANCY
Adeso is looking for a suitable short-term consultant for its climate change adaptation and mitigation program in the coastal areas of Somalia/Somaliland. The initial consultancy employment period is for six (6) months that will be spread in the project’s implementation period at the critical phases.
Objectives of the consultancy:
Provide technical support to the project implementation.
Lead in the assessment and reporting for the project.
Staff capacity development.
SCOPE OF WORK
· Work with the project team, and the Country Management Team in the development of the project essentials tools suited to the project expected outcome. This includes the logical activities based on the seasons trend, project Gantt charts and the essential prerequisites in the capacity development of the target beneficiaries and stakeholders
· Carry out the initial desk review, primary information collection and stakeholder engagement in the identification of the best approach of introducing climate change and adaptation strategies at community and line ministries level.
· Develop and roll out the initial training of the target communities and the stakeholders on the processes, approaches that are in line with the project design of the coastal restoration, date palms plantation, mangroves plantation and other exotic and indigenous plants that fits for the restoration of the climate change adaptation and mitigation
· Train the Adeso project team, on the strategies and the implementation process of the project – based on the developed guidelines, training modules and the climate change adaptation strategy that fits into the project expected outcome.
· Provide technical back stop to the Deputy Project Manager, and the entire project team on the implementation process of the project activities
· Develop and monitor the project activities progress tracking – with robust database system, monitoring tools and reporting templates throughout the implementation process.
· Lead the development of the lessons learnt, best practices and the presentations that suited for high level presentation at the donors and wider stakeholder’s information sharing.
· Provide technical, support on the project inputs-such as the types of seeds- date palms, mangroves etc., engage the inputs suppliers on the appropriate inputs needed
· This ToR profile is not conclusive and revision can be made as and when relevant tasks comes up.
· Six (6) months
· Master’s degree level in Development Studies, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science and other related field
· Experience in program management in climate change thematic areas (adaptation, mitigation, strategies, policies, and financing) in the Horn of Africa, preferably in Somalia.
· Experiences in coastal habitats restoration, coastal environment preservation and the plantation of the date palms, mangroves and indigenous trees
· Strong experience in providing trainings for community level climate change adaptation strategies in Somalia;
· Strong writing skills including development of documentation on relevant case studies
· Proven ability to work in a team environment composed of people from a wide range of backgrounds and challenging environment;
· Experience working with government authorities/ministries preferably on climate change policy Proven ability to analyses and use complex information to support policy development;
· Ability to work independently, under pressure and under time constraints;
· Willingness to travel to resource-poor areas at least 50%;
· A qualified Somalia National is highly preferred
· Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, power point, etc.
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.
All applications should be sent to [email protected] by the 25th December, 2017 with “Technical Manager – Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation”** on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Each application package should include the following:
- An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the consultant’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as the interest for the position. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates. The letter should be no longer than two pages;
- A sample of recent work;
- Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications;
- Contact details of 2 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.