Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable future for all. The SEI Stockholm Centre is a dynamic, expanding workplace that employs around 90 people from 25 different nationalities in an activity-based office in central Stockholm (Garnisonen).
We are now recruiting a Head of Unit to the Stockholm Centre. The position presents an opportunity to join a leading research institute and contribute to the management of a growing and dynamic research environment. Reporting to the Centre Director, the Head of Unit will manage a team of researchers and be part of the Management Team of the Stockholm Centre. The position will also provide the opportunity to actively engage in externally funded research activities within the research field of the unit.
As Head of Unit (50%), key responsibilities include:
- Act as the immediate manager of the employees in the unit, represent the employer in all matters concerning work, i.e. performance and development dialogues, target-setting, follow-up and work environment;
- Be an active member of the Stockholm Centre management team, contributing to the strategic development of the Centre;
- Provide overall and ongoing guidance and support to the unit employees, addressing management, implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Support the professional development of the employees in the unit;
- Be responsible for resource planning and time reports to achieve a balanced work load for all unit employees, and across the unit; and
- Stimulate unit employees in identifying and developing research projects in line with the SEI strategy.
As researcher (50%) we expect the selected candidate to:
- Develop and lead a strong, visible and lasting research portfolio involving several SEI research employees in the field of social sciences and development;
- Interact with policymakers and other stakeholders, and represent SEI at key events; and
- Successfully raise funds from a variety of Swedish and international funding agencies including the private sector.
Who you are
We are looking for a person who possess leadership competence, project management and research skills. You should have proven interdisciplinary research experience and ability to work with various stakeholders, as well as demonstrating an understanding of both development and environment issues.
- Solid leadership experience, including a minimum of five years of people and project managment in a knowledge-based organization;
- Strong interest and capacity to support colleagues in their development process, both as individuals and as a team;
- Strong research and project management experience in the field of social sciences specifically focusing on for instance international development, behavioural studies, sustainable consumption or poverty eradication;
- Proven ability to engage in knowledge production towards high-level policy making and an established network within national administration, multilateral organizations, research institutes and non-profit organizations;
- A strong record of research project design and management, securing funding, and publications;
- Experience in working in international, multi-disciplinary research teams in policy environments, and with international partners.
How to apply
We continuously review applications and encourage you to apply as soon as possible. The final application deadline is 15 January 2018. As we only accept applications through our system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience.
- Curriculum vitae