Purpose of the consultancy
Ethiopia’s Climate-Resilient Green Economy (CRGE) strategy has been in place since 2011. Different tools and documents have been developed to support its implementation, however to date these have primarily focused on the aspects of the strategy that relate to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, with some attention to adaptation co-benefits. With the finalization of Ethiopia’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP-ETH), there is an opportunity to strengthen these tools to better incorporate adaptation options that will build climate resilience in vulnerable sectors. The consultant will lead a process of updating key CRGE tools to integrate adaptation to current and future climate risks and changes. This will be done in close collaboration with a task force of experts from relevant line ministries, under the supervision of the Director General of Climate Change Implementation Coordination at MEFCC. Technical review will be undertaken by the Climate Change Adaptation Advisor and the NAP Global Network Secretariat.
Activities related to the assignment Activities will include:
- Review of key documents related to the CRGE and the NAP, including:
- CRGE documents: vision, strategy, facility operational manual, M&E system manual, Sectoral Reduction Mechanism Framework, private sector engagement strategy, revised environmental policy, sector wide reduction action plans (SWRAPs)
- NAP-ETH document
- Climate resilience strategies for the agriculture, water and forestry sectors (and other sectors as available/appropriate)
- Consultation with the task force to better understand how the tools are used in practice, through interviews and small group meetings
- Drafting updated versions of the three key toolsto include adaptation as well as the existing green economy issues:
- CRGE checklist,
- CRGE mainstreaming guideline and planning guideline to mainstream CRGE at Woreda level (in English)
- Facilitating a validation workshop with the task force to gather feedback on the updated tools
- Incorporating feedback from the task force and the NAP GN on the revised tools • Producing final draft versions of the tools for testing, finalization and adoption by MEFCC For all deliverables
The estimated time requirement is 35 days.
The required qualifications are:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Strong technical knowledge of climate change adaptation
- Familiarity with climate change policy and implementation in Ethiopia, including the CRGE strategy
- Fluency in English and Amharic, both spoken and written
- Strong communication and writing skills Applicants must have the legal right to work in Ethiopia.
Reporting: The consultant will report to the Climate Change Adaptation Advisor within MEFCC. Oversight will be provided by the Director General of Climate Change Implementation Coordination at MEFCC and the NAP Global Network Expert Advisor for Ethiopia.
Application Process: To apply for this consultancy, please submit a statement of work, CV, and estimated budget to: [email protected]
Application deadline: December 22, 2017
Start date: January 15, 2017 Location: Addis Ababa