Water Management Initiative (WMI) is a USAID-funded Water Project, currently seeking to recruit a highly-qualified “Planning and Institutional Development Specialist”. WMI Project is supporting the Government of Jordan to achieve measurable improvements and greater sustainability of the water sector.
Under the direct supervision of the Water Sector Governance Advisor, the incumbent of this position is responsible to provide technical and management support to the Water Management Initiative (WMI) Governance Unit as well as taking supportive responsibility for implementation of the Water Sector Governance Component. S/he will work closely with other project members and external consultants on governance related activities and liaison with water sector institutions including Water Authority of Jordan (WAJ), Ministry of Water and Irrigation (MWI) and the water companies in Jordan.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
The responsibilities of the incumbent include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Water Sector Governance Advisor with water planning, policy and strategic planning, and regulatory framework development for Jordan’s water sector which includes coordinating and following up on related daily activities.
- Provide analysis and technical assistance in water planning and policy activities.
- Support data collection and management among counterparts.
- Provide technical knowledge and support in capacity building and developing the capacity of the project counterparts within the water sector.
- Provide support in the analysis and implementation of policy and institutional reforms.
- Coordinate with other project activities to implement public engagements and outreach interventions in support of policy and institutional reform and development.
- Provide support in identification and monitoring policy, and institutional reform needs and barriers.
- Provide support in modifying and implementing the governing documents between water companies and Water Authority Jordan (WAJ), and in developing the regulatory framework of Jordan’s water sector.
- Partner with water stakeholders to successfully develop and implement project activities.
- Support the development of annual and quarterly performance reports, annual workplans, and report on the WMI’s performance indicators.
- Work on developing the scope of work for related activities along with managing of consultant deliverables.
- Depute the Water Sector Governance Advisor during his absent.
- Any other identical tasks assigned by respective supervisor/s from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS: (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS)
Advanced graduate degree preferable in public administration, business management, urban planning, institutional development, policy, or related field.
- 8 or more years of experience in developing and/or implementing public sector policies, strategies, and action plans preferably in the water sector.
- Experience in institutional reform, business planning and change management.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of governance and planning principles.
- Experience leading change management programs and organizational development initiatives.
- Experience in handling data collection, assembling and analysis from various sources.
- Experience building and leading teams.
- In depth knowledge of Jordan’s water sector governance, Jordan’s water policies and strategies is preferred.
- Experience in developing and/or implementing private sector participation projects is a plus.
- Experience in carrying out some regulatory functions is a plus.
- Excellent working knowledge of English, both written and spoken. Able to communicate fluently and effectively both verbally and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen, and respect colleagues.
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team. Must also be able to create a supportive working relationship among all project teams.
- Creative thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to work under pressure and on multidisciplinary activities
- Project Management skills is preferred including planning, risk management, team management, developing project’s activities, monitoring and follow up, and time management.
Excellent Language proficiency in spoken and written English, and Arabic.