The programme aims to use the MapX platform as a geospatial data infrastructure to manage all programme data, including remote monitoring of supply and demand dynamics of the project-supported mini-grids and off-grid solutions.
Under the overall guidance of the Haiti country programme manager and the MapX Co-Director, the GIS is responsible for the GIS related services and functions to support UNEP Haiti program in managing its sustainable energy operations and in the deployment of MapX. The expert will be located within the Post-Conflict and Disaster Management Branch in Geneva. The GIS Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.
Note, this is a 6-month position with the possibility of extension.The functions/duties/key results of this job description are generic and not all duties are carried out by all GIS Analysts.
1. Provides effective geospatial information management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- GIS-based inventory all of renewable energy infrastructure and protected areas required by the UN Environment Haiti programme using the MapX platform.
- GIS-based inventory of all relevant contextual data to monitor the development outcomes associated with access to energy using the MapX platform.
- Work with the MapX team to develop customized front end applications and interfaces that can support the work of the UN Environment Haiti programme and its partners
- Provide support in the design and development of the National Environmental Information System
- Develop capacity to make high-quality map products using desktop GIS (e.g. QGIS)
- for use in reports, for off-line use and printing hard copy maps.
- Ensure all projects going forward include a geospatial information management component and suitable budget.
- Collaborating with IT engineers, energy engineers and project teams to understand use cases and produce designs and implementations that meet GIS application configuration, testing and acceptance to fulfil grant and contract requirements.
- Identifies, introduces and maintains spatial data infrastructure and workflow, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Establishing workflow and quality control procedures for all datasets, ensuring proper metadata.
- Work on the development of mobile phone, drone and other applications for the collection of data within a spatial data infrastructure.
- Provision of reports, ad hoc or otherwise, required for management information and as tool for decision-making.
- Ensuring security of information technology operation at all times. Development of back-up programmes and ensuring strict implementation.
- Implementation of corporate information technology policy changes applicable to the office, if any, to be compatible and up to par with other offices and achieve global IT plan
- Establishment of control systems to ensure that all information technology equipment is maintained regularly and in proper working condition.
- Remote performance monitoring of the renewable energy infrastructure, including distributed mini-grid solutions within a cloud based environment. This will involve mapping all assets and anticipated demand in the energy supply chain, building dash boards for monitoring sensor data, and designing high-quality analytical mapping products, workflow and visualizations based on the aggregation of best available data.
2. Conducts data mapping, analysis, visualization and communications, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Production of electronic versions of the technical drawings of renewable energy plans and infrastructure (CAD).
- Customized spatial and temporal analysis and visualizations of the renewable energy infrastructure and its development impact.
- Develop story maps to communicate analysis results and impact of projects.
- Perform location-based analytics with innovative spatial intelligence, business intelligence, statistical and predictive analytics tools to create unique analytical solutions and insights that support both strategic and operational decision making.
3. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on related topics, including for relevant UN Environment staff, Government of Haiti technicians or other partner staff based in Haiti
- Advice to management, clients and colleagues on subject matter expertise
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices
- Collect feedback from users for continuous improvements of the of platform
- Advanced University degree, preferably in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing (RS), Information Sciences, Computer Science, Engineering or any science/logic related discipline. A first-level university degree in combination with required qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in the field of Geographic Information systems, preferably in an international development environment.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Advanced knowledge and use of at least one GIS desktop package (e.g. QGIS, arcGIS).
- Fluency in written and oral French and English are required. Knowledge of Spanish desirable.