UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
The purpose of Assignment:
- To take stock of the current situation and the major development shifts / mega trends in the region and the strategic positioning of WASH in the region, considering the new external (SDGs, growing focus on climate change, positioning of key WASH players) and internal context (UNICEF WASH 2016‐2030 strategy, global strategic plan 2018‐2021 and regional strategic plan 2018‐2021).
- To develop a short narrative outlining the strategic framework of UNICEF in WASH in the region including a Theory of Change.
In developing this Strategic Framework, the consultancy will look into:
- Regional situation of water, sanitation, hygiene, WASH in institutions, and WASH in emergencies.
- Prioritization of high-risk and high burden countries for example high open defecation rates, emergency prone environments, urbanization, etc.
- Cross-sectoral emphasis including WASH and Gender, Health, Nutrition, d Education and Early Childhood Development.
- Opportunities for Public Private Partnerships not only for improving WASH supply chains but also for fostering innovations in WASH.
- Challenges and barriers to improve current situation including a view towards adaptation to climate change, the construction of resilience and the rural-peri urban continuum.
- Good practices to make WASH program effective.
- Major trend is development in this region, persisting challenges in regards to child mortality and development, the regional headlines and regional office vision.
Work Assignment and Work Schedule:
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Adviser – WASH, the consultant will undertake the following assignments:
Main Tasks: Work planning
Task Details: Develop a detailed workplan, including finalizing methodology, and consultations with regional office, list of references
Deliverables: Revised Workplan
When: 2 days by end January’18
Main Tasks: Desk/Document Review – Analysis & consolidation findings / Refinement
- Analysis and consolidate findings from Desk/document review
- Develop a draft of WASH strategic framework
Deliverables: Draft WASH Strategic Framework
When: 23 days, by mid-March’18
Main Tasks: Presentation & Finalization
- Present Draft in webinar and or in meeting in Bangkok,
- Consolidate feedback into final documents
- Develop a PowerPoint presentation
- Final WASH Strategic Framework (max 25 pages)
- PowerPoint presentation of WASH Strategic Focus
When: 5 days, by end March’18
- Report: An UNICEF EAPRO WASH Strategic Framework – A maximum 25 pages overview summarizing short description of the situation, the major trends (generally and in WASH) based on the existing documents, scenario’s presenting UNICEF Regional Office Strategic Approach and Theory of Change and monitoring, all aligned with broadly with the Sustainable Development Goals but more specifically with the Strategic Plan, Global and Regional Management Plans and Priorities.
- PowerPoint – UNICEF EAPRO WASH Strategic Framework – a PowerPoint presentation with accompanying script for the presenter
Estimated Duration of Contract: 30 working days over the period of January –end March 2018
Official Travel: One travel to Bangkok Regional Office may be required.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required:
- Advanced Master’s Degree in WASH (or similar field), Public Health, or Statistic are required.
- Experience in designing tables, maps, graphs and charts that effectively communicate key messages on the trends and status of water supply and sanitation.
- Knowledge of equity considerations in water supply and sanitation.
- Prior working experience with UNICEF and familiarity with UNICEF’s quality standards.
- Experience in designing publication, and skillful in graphic creative work experience in working on UNICEF publications would be an asset.
- Demonstrated track record in report writing, documentation and publication with experience in compiling good practices documents on WASH issues.
- Knowledge of UNICEF and WASH programmes in EAPRO highly desirable.
- Good writing and analytical skills in English are required.
- Ability to work independently and able to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Application process: Interested applicants are requested to submit Application Package and Expression of Interest by 21 December 2017 detailing:
- Qualification and technical capacity (CV/P-11)
- Sample(s) of similar and relevant work/reports
- A detailed work plan for undertaking this assignment including outlining the proposed method
- Financial proposal: Daily professional fee in USD. For one anticipated travel to UNICEF Bangkok, the consultant is requested to submit the all-inclusive travel cost (ticket and other incidentals) from home base to the UNICEF Office in Bangkok. Please note the air tickets under UNICEF contract shall be re-routable, refundable type (economy class and most direct route). The consultant will be responsible for own travel insurance, visa fee and terminal expenses.
Only short listed candidates will be notified.
Opening Date Mon Dec 11 2017 20:00:00 GMT-0600 (CST) SE Asia Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Dec 21 2017 10:55:00 GMT-0600 (CST)