UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
In 2016, UNICEF conducted an independent evaluation of Gravity Fed Water System (GFS) for a period of 13 years. The evaluation found that the GSF in DPRK are relevant to national priorities and to people’s lives, are cost-efficient, and have had a substantial positive effect on beneficiary communities, especially on women and children. There is also evidence to suggest that the GFS have had an impact on child diarrhea prevalence and thus on child health.
The evaluation also included some recommendations to improve the WASH program’s outreach to beneficiaries through influencing national policies, programme design, capacity building and strengthening programme monitoring for sustainability. In line with the recommendations, UNICEF intends to further enhance capacity of national technical experts on feasibility study, survey, and computer aided design of water supply network, especially GFS.
In 2007, UNICEF supported capacity building of technicians on feasibility study, development of design manual and design of water system which is currently used by MoCM for water supply projects. The current software used by MoCM is a localized version of EPA network software. In the past decade, there have been updates and significant improvements in the methodology of feasibility studies, survey, design and software design output files. The planned training will improve the existing capacity and result in more optimal outcomes.
The objective of the consultancy is to further improve the capacity of the government partner for optimized design output. The consultant is expected to provide training on the most updated Open Source water supply design software (Epanet combined with AutoCAD and others) which needs to be optimized and integrated to produce design details, drawings, quantity estimates and can have the option of overlaying maps and producing thematic maps.
The consultant is also expected to improve the quality of feasibility methodology and report to expand it covering DRR, Climate Change adaptation and environmental and sustainability issues ensuring water catchment protection and water balance between the reliable yield of the water source and abstraction rate. Finally, s/he is expected to revise and improve the existing design manual (English language) and harmonize it with the updated methodology of feasibility studies and updated design parameters in line with national standards and guidelines.
- Inception Report highlighting/detailing the updates proposed in the methodology of feasibility study, design software and the training plan
- At least 30-40 county engineers/technicians trained as master trainer on the updated methodology of feasibility study and on computer aided design on water supply network
- 5 core MOCM Engineers trained as Super User/trainer on integrating and overlaying the software design output on map files accessible to MoCM
- Feasibility study format/ methodology and Open Source Computer Aided design of water supply network updated, finalized and submitted
30% of the agreed fee will be paid upon submission of an inception report and the remaining 70% upon completion of the assignment.
Approximately 20 working days from 7 February to 7 March 2018. The assignment will require 2-3 weeks of on-site presence in DPRK, the rest of the assignment can be managed remotely.
- Advanced degree (Masters) in Civil engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Geology/ Hydrology/ Sanitation engineering, or other relevant qualification
- Previous work experience with UNICEF or other international organization working in WASH Sector
- Experience in training and development of water supply design manuals
- Solid knowledge of design software of water supply network, preferable Open Source such as EPA network. Ability to modify design parameters as per need in DPRK
- Experience in conducting/facilitating trainings
- Report writing skills
- Fluency in English
- Flexibility, ability to work with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
Interested applicants shall submit a cover letter, CV, a sample or examples of work experience in EPAnet based design of water supply system, and a lump-sum financial quote for undertaking the assignment. The quote shall include consultancy fees, DSA, travel to and from DPRK, insurance, vaccinations and any other relevant costs. Travel within DPRK will be organized by UNICEF and shall not be included in quotes.
Opening Date Mon Dec 11 2017 18:00:00 GMT-0600 (CST) Korea Standard Time
Closing Date Mon Dec 25 2017 08:55:00 GMT-0600 (CST)