The Adaptation Fund finances projects and programs that help vulnerable communities in developing countries build resilience and adapt to climate change. Initiatives are based on country needs, views and priorities. Established under the Kyoto Protocol of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Fund is an innovative financing mechanism that pioneered ‘direct access’ – allowing developing countries to access financing from the Fund and build national capacity to adapt to climate change directly through accredited national implementing entities.
Since becoming fully operational in 2010, the Adaptation Fund has committed US $462 million for climate change adaptation and resilience activities in 73 countries; including 70 concrete projects across adaptation sectors such as coastal zone management, sustainable agriculture, food security, rural development, water management, disaster risk reduction and forests.
The secretariat of the Adaptation Fund Board is seeking a short-term consultant with a solid background across diverse communications platforms including web content management, writing, marketing, branding, multimedia and social media campaigns to help raise awareness about the Fund and the work it facilitates in developing countries.
Scope of Work
The consultant will report to the Manager of the Fund; and work closely under the direction of the Manager and Communications Officer and be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Post communications and other materials to the Adaptation Fund website using WordPress web content management system, with an eye for strong visual appearance.
- Support and help maintain as well as make visual and other organized improvements to the Adaptation Fund website and associated social media sites with assistance of the IT department, as needed. This can include setting up micro-websites focused on targeted content related to special events and campaigns.
- Update, assist and support development and maintenance of the Fund’s website events calendar.
- Support and assist with organizing events, including lining up speakers, organizing related communications and marketing materials, web and print promotional products, disseminating logistical information and promoting the events through ConstantContact, email lists, the website, social media, web news and traditional outreach methods.
- Support and assist with the development and dissemination of branded marketing materials and displays for events, readiness seminars and international climate change conferences.
- Assist with and support the development and dissemination of web and social media posts and related materials across a variety of Adaptation Fund channels, including the Fund’s website, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr, YouTube and other new channels as opportunities arise.
- Assist with and develop e-newsletter content; maintain and update Adaptation Fund contact lists and disseminate e-news content periodically through ConstantContact and email networks.
- As needed, help disseminate and support the development and assist with production of a variety of communications products such as brochures, posters, talking points, briefing notes, news releases, project, policy or theme papers, Adaptation Fund Board documents, correspondence, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Support as needed responses to routine and non-routine inquiries about the Fund and attend working meetings to enhance two-way communication and dialogue with key audiences such as Adaptation Fund project teams, Board members, the AF NGO Network, and the Fund’s Knowledge Management, Resource Mobilization, Accreditation and Readiness units to ensure stakeholders receive the necessary information and updates about the Fund and its portfolio of projects and programs across targeted and diverse communications platforms.
- Assist with and support communications campaigns, as well as other AF events and activities at international climate change conferences through organization of events, development and dissemination of targeted communications materials, and other periodic campaigns as needed such as photo and multimedia competitions.
- Assist with and support enhancements to the Fund’s sister climate finance readiness website in partnership with the Fund’s partner, CDKN, which co-manages the site.
- Assist with media monitoring, and development of webinars, online surveys and social media story compilations, and other online communications materials as needed.
- Assist with logistical support of delivery of communications materials through traditional mail and shipping, as needed.
- Produce or assist in the further development and dissemination of communication and knowledge products and support the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat in any other tasks as deemed necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, or Master’s Degree in communications, journalism, marketing, international relations or development, environmental studies, or other related fields
- Three to five years of experience working across diverse communications platforms
- Experience with branding, graphics, social media and communications campaigns
- Basic website design and content management skills and high familiarity with WordPress Pro
- Excellent command of written English
- Familiarity with climate change issues at the international level
- Ability to efficiently and accurately communicate often complex and technical ideas to a lay audience
- Detail-oriented with excellent research abilities and experience with interviewing subject matter experts a plus;
- Experience with taking photographs, video and incorporating compelling visual graphics into communications materials a plus;
- Ability to work well with diverse team members and multitask in high-pressure environments
Initial period 50 days with possibility to extend
Interested applicants should send resumes and letter of interest under the subject head of ‘Communications STC’ to [email protected] by COB 22 December 2017.